Obama: "Maybe they'll need a moat... Maybe they'll want alligators in the moat." Thoughts on the mockery?

Obama mocks Republican position on immigration:

EL PASO, Texas – In search of Hispanic votes and a long-shot immigration overhaul, President Barack Obama on Tuesday stood at the U.S.-Mexico border for the first time since winning the White House and declared it more secure than ever. He mocked Republican lawmakers for blocking immigration over border security alone, saying they won't be happy until they get a moat with alligators along the border.

His speech broke no new policy ground, and he declined to offer a bill or call on Congress to send him one by a particular deadline — a bow to political realities on Capitol Hill. Republicans who control the House are hostile to overhaul [illegal immigration] legislation.

He said he would lead a "constructive and civil debate" on the issue but publicly questioned the motives of Republicans and their ability to keep their word.

And it remained unclear how mocking Republican calls for border security would get Obama any closer to his goal of bipartisan legislation.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20110510/ap_on_re_us/us_obama_immigration

kenzie07

Asked by kenzie07 at 9:44 AM on May. 11, 2011 in Politics & Current Events

• Isn't this sad? I guess those are my thoughts. It just plain makes me sad.
    NannyB.

Answer by NannyB. at 9:47 AM on May. 11, 2011

• – collapse

Made me chuckle.

he was right

sweet-a-kins

Answer by sweet-a-kins at 9:50 AM on May. 11, 2011 (hidden) + expand

• Did it surprise me? Hell no, he is the most partisan president we have ever had! His idea of working with repubs is to mock them. I don't know about you, but when I want to try and work with someone on something, mocking them isn't a step I would take. That is not a characteristic of a leader.

Did it disappoint me? Oh yeah, but most everything he has done gives me the same reaction.
    DSamuels

Answer by DSamuels at 9:52 AM on May. 11, 2011

• Sort of contradicts his whole call for bi-partisanship, don't cha think sweet-a-kins? I guess he still has his Bin-Laden swag on.

kenzie07

Comment by kenzie07 (original poster) at 9:54 AM on May. 11, 2011

• OMG, I was just reading this on RCP. Just more divisiveness. He's attempting to create a 'team' to vote for him. This is nothing more than a campaign goody. You know, 'I can't do it without your help'. Regardless of their citizenship status, illegal immigrants have already shown that they disregard our laws. Illegally registering to vote and voting in an election is of no consequence to them.

I found his contradictory statements to be a bit confusing though. He was clearly pandering to the illegal crowd, yet boasted about how he had been tough on immigration policy by deporting more illegal immigrants and putting more boots on the ground at the border. I imagine the more intelligent members of that crowd walking away while scratching their head and trying to figure out what he was really trying to say.  I think he's losing his touch.

QuinnMae

Answer by QuinnMae at 9:54 AM on May. 11, 2011

• Frankly, I think a moat with alligators in it is a good idea. Very hungry alligators.
    tinamatt

Answer by tinamatt at 9:55 AM on May. 11, 2011

• Maybe he needs some new speechwriters Quinn LOL
    DSamuels

Answer by DSamuels at 9:56 AM on May. 11, 2011

• His speech was so contradictory it was almost like 2 opposing views spliced together. As far as the part about the moat and alligators..what? is he in high school or the leader of the free world? He needs to grow up.
    yourspecialkid

Answer by yourspecialkid at 9:57 AM on May. 11, 2011

• He needs a re-do because he is just starting to figure out that people now have his record to go off of. He's been untouchable until being elected to this seat because largely he has failed to produce an opinion on most serious issues. As soon as he won a seat in the past he would start campaigning for another, and then another. There is no higher seat for him to be elected to and so now he has to run on his record which we can all see is about as thin as his level of experience.  His luster has worn off.

QuinnMae

Answer by QuinnMae at 9:59 AM on May. 11, 2011

• I'm sorry, but I thought it was funny. You can claim he's the most partisan president we've ever had, but factually speaking that's not correct. And I can't blame him for his attitude, how much shit has he had to put up with for the last few years? How many times did he sit down with Republicans and TRY and work with them. Think about the tax laws for this year... he helped the other side out. And yet just like all the other politicians in DC everyone throws a fit over everything he does. He can do nothing right, everyone blames EVERYTHING on him. He's been mocked by Republicans for a long time, he teases them about a really stupid plan that won't work and people are suddenly offended? Get real, he could have been polite and most of you would still be screaming that he did something wrong.
    miss_lisa

Answer by miss_lisa at 10:01 AM on May. 11, 2011