ADHD medicine for children

Does anyone's children take medicine for ADHD? If so what is it? Im looking for good/bad reviews for different medications. My child is going to the doctor today to be put on medicine...... Any info will help. Thanks

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:49 AM on May. 11, 2011 in General Parenting

• ritalin. He is 11 so almost off of it.

He was on Concerta but we found out that it is the same as ritalin only you take 1 a day and ritalin you take 2. Also, you can get the generic of ritalin but not a generic of concerta so cost wise, ritalin was better for us and did the same thing.

Now that he is getting older, I don't really notice a difference when he takes the meds and when he doesn't. He is hyper all the time, probably just part of being a pre-teen.
    Jademom07

Answer by Jademom07 at 9:54 AM on May. 11, 2011

• I read book after book and knew I did not want my son put on medication. Following the advice of books like: Ritalin Is Not The Answer: A Drug-Free, Practical Program for Children Diagnosed with ADD or ADHD helped me and my son use techniques that have really helped. He has not been put on medication and personally I will never put him on medication.
    Mom2Jack04

Answer by Mom2Jack04 at 9:54 AM on May. 11, 2011

• We started with Ritilin. He was on it for years. It helped, but not that much. Last year we switched to Vyvanse. It is MUCH better for us. Finally his grades have jumped and he actually made the honor roll this year! He had to go to summer school for failing 2 classes 3 years ago.
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 10:35 AM on May. 11, 2011

• Take it from someone who's been there, DON'T DO IT!

There are ways to effectively treat ADHD without medicating. Psychologists, psychiatrists, and pediatricians will not suggest those because they are taught that meds are the only way. Please, do yourself and your child a favor and research what these medications really do to a child's brain ... they don't fix anything. I would suggest reading Dr. Breggin's book "Talking Back to Ritalin" or watching the documentary "The Marketing of Madness" (you can find it on YouTube). And don't fall for the ever popular line that "ADHD is a chemical imbalance". This was a catch phrase thrown out years ago by the psychiatric community and it stuck, though there's absolutely no scientific research behind it. There are no tests available for assessing the chemical status of a living person's brain. Really want to make ur child a guinea pig by "trying stuff out" like Zoeyis says?
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:47 AM on May. 11, 2011

• I would not medicate. That is my opinion though.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:55 AM on May. 11, 2011