TALKING TO STRANGERS

Hi, my little one is 21 months and she will say hello to pretty much anyone when we go out. Yesterday in the park I was holding her hand while we were walking and a man walked by and she said hi. He said hi back and continued walking past us and she put her hand out and said, "hold hands".. !! i know they are innocent @ this age, but how exactly do you explain not to talk to strangers? I said to her no, you only hold hands with mommy and daddy.. but this makes me nervous.

kyliegirl28

Asked by kyliegirl28 at 9:54 AM on May. 11, 2011 in Toddlers (1-2)

• You don't tell them not to talk to strangers. Strangers are less of a threat, statistically, than people you trust around your children, because those people usually have closer and more intimate access. Instead, teach children that anyone, stranger or friend, may try to hurt them, may try to get them to go off with them, may try to touch them in a bad way, and teach them what to do if it happens. Teach them a safe word only you and your s/o and people you trust know, and tell them not to go off with anyone who doesn't know it. Teach them to say no if anyone tries to touch them, and to come home and tell you if someone asks, or if someone touches, or worse. Tell them not to believe any lies they are told about getting in trouble or bad things happening if they tell you. Keep repeating the message over and over, over days and weeks and months, until it is fully absorbed.
    bishopblack

Answer by bishopblack at 10:00 AM on May. 11, 2011

• When they are that age. You are the one who has to make sure strangers/bad people do not do any harm to your child/ren. She is to young to understand. You can always try to make her understand. Just remember, bad people are not always strangers.

Answer by louise2 at 10:01 AM on May. 11, 2011

• Talking to a stranger is fine and a way to teach social skills. Just tell her that holding hands is a special thing kids do with friends and family.
    anng.atlanta

Answer by anng.atlanta at 10:26 AM on May. 11, 2011

• I dunno...I remember my oldest giving out his complete name and ADDRESS in the post office one time! Ughhhhhh.
    1smartcookie

Answer by 1smartcookie at 12:57 PM on May. 12, 2011