How did you deal with the terrible 2s?

Alexias30

Asked by Alexias30 at 9:57 AM on May. 11, 2011 in Toddlers (1-2)

• 2? I am having a problem with 3.. She was an angel at 2. Now, she gets mouthy, back talks, yells and screams at you for no reason.. does everything she KNOWS she's not suppose to. We finally laid down the law.. Sorry, you want to cry for no reason.. here is your room. You want to yell, take your attitude to you room.. I'm sorry, you wanted to hit me, here is your room and have a wonderful stay. She chills out after about 2 straight days of it, but she tests the water to see how far she can get, then we start all over again.
    kbishop8688

Answer by kbishop8688 at 10:05 AM on May. 11, 2011

• Oh, 2 was a breeze... Wait til they turn 3!

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 9:59 AM on May. 11, 2011

• I didn't think of them as the terrible 2's.

That was the first thing that kept me from dreading it. I realized that at this age, she was learning so much but yet wasn't able to easily communicate which is what frustrates them. Also, they want to learn some independance but still have to learn boundaries...that also frustrates them.
    Jademom07

Answer by Jademom07 at 10:00 AM on May. 11, 2011

• Empathize. It teaches them the words for what they feel. "It sounds like you are angry that you can't have that." Fantasize. "I wish I could have the breakfast fairy bring you all of the pancakes you want!" (You'll both be laughing in no time.) Walk away from tantrums.
    RobotLady

Answer by RobotLady at 10:11 AM on May. 11, 2011

• what Sabrina said!

this will pass...eventually- then it will be on to something new ;)
    charlotsomtimes

Answer by charlotsomtimes at 10:00 AM on May. 11, 2011

Wait till 13! lol
    harris4

Answer by harris4 at 10:09 AM on May. 11, 2011

• I will say my son being 3-1/2, the two's did end up being tougher, we tried to be VERY consistent and more on the strict side with him.. It wasn't the funnest but also they are learning so much so it was great and exciting to be a part of !~
    maxsmom11807

Answer by maxsmom11807 at 10:27 AM on May. 11, 2011

• Make everything a game. They will pay attention at 2 when they turn 3 its like they loose their hearing.
    Kimkh

Answer by Kimkh at 1:43 PM on May. 11, 2011

• stand your ground and don't flip flop. my dad once told me... you have to pick your battles. you win some and lose some, but in the end... you will win the war. that made a lot of sense.

if she wanted to wear two different shoes, then she could win that battle. if I wanted her to clean up her mess, i would win that battle. I also use time out a lot. my theory is time out of the age she is. 22 months is about 2 minutes. before getting up I tell her what she did wrong and how to make a better choice. she gets it, though it may vary per child.

they are testing u at that age and you need to set the ground rules, don't flip flop and be sure to show tough love!!!
    Mommytobe618

Answer by Mommytobe618 at 10:25 PM on May. 11, 2011