Dr. wants to put me on antidepressants:( Don't know what to do.

I am getting off of pain killers I have been prescribed for the last four years. I am having terrible withdrawl symptoms, including feeling down and out. My dr. is supervising this and gave me Ambien, and Prozac. At first i was glad because I was really having a bad day and needed help. Now I don't want to take them because it will just be one more drug I have to wean off of and antidepressants make me gain weight, which I cannot handle right now. (I already gained a ton from the other meds). What would you do? Doctor said it would take 3-4 months for my brain to heal.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:08 AM on May. 11, 2011 in Health

• maybe try something other than meds. maybe join the y or a local gym working out will give you endorphins which should trigger your brain to be happy... Good Luck Mommy!!!

kylansmommy09

Answer by kylansmommy09 at 10:13 AM on May. 11, 2011

• That's a tough call and unfortunately, one that only you can make. As much as I understand that the weaning process and how hard it can be, I would suggest that you give your Dr.'s advise serious consideration. I got stuck on an antidepressant for twelve years, one which they took off the market for bad side effects, but I was simply unable to wean off of them. I finally visited one Dr. who told me the exact way to go about it. I was off them in one month! LOL! As someone who has been in the medical field, they make medications for reasons... If it helps you to improve, why not give it a try? Sometimes some medications are easier to wean off than others. So, maybe this won't be as bad. I have no idea was medication you were on, but I do want to made sure you are aware of the side effects of starting another medication vs. weaning off of another. Sometimes, symptoms are masked, so you're really not sure which CONT
    m-avi

Answer by m-avi at 10:13 AM on May. 11, 2011

• you may be having the effect from. Make sure you take your time with your decision. I wish you the best of luck.
    m-avi

• I'd run in the other direction. I'm sorry but doctors prescribe these medications like they are nothing more than candy. You already know how hard it is getting off the pain killers ... why would you want to add more drugs to the mix? A doctor worth his salt should be able to help you wean off your current medications, not risk more addiction or drug-induced psychosis by prescribing more meds.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:30 AM on May. 11, 2011

• Also do random acts of kindness. It's proven that they make people feel better. here is an easy list of things you can do daily that would make you feel good...

1. Send someone a hand written note of thanks.
    2. Make a card at home and send it to a friend for no reason.
    3. Buy a lottery ticket for a stranger.
    4. Put some coins in someone else’s parking meter.
    5. Buy a coffee for the man on the high street selling The Big Issue magazine.
    6. Cut your neighbour’s hedge.
    7. Walk your friend’s dog.
    8. Give a compliment about your waiter / waitress to his / her manager.
    9. Send someone a small gift anonymously.
    10. Stop and help someone replace their flat tyre.
    11. Let someone jump the queue at the bank.
    12. Pay for the drinks on the next table at a café.
    13. Treat a friend to the movies for no reason.
    14. Give a huge tip to someone when they least expe
    samurai_chica

Answer by samurai_chica at 10:31 AM on May. 11, 2011

• # Hold the train door open for someone rushing to get in.
    # Give up your seat for someone, not just an elderly person.
    Write notes of appreciation at least once a week.
    Talk to a homeless person and have a “normal” conversation.
    Pick up some rubbish in the road which would otherwise be lying around.
    Compliment a work colleague for their excellence.
    Recommend a competitor to a potential client.
    Give another driver your parking spot.
    Give a piece of fruit to a delivery person.
    Help an elderly neighbour carry the rubbish out.
    Tell all your family members how much your appreciate them.
    Leave a copy of an interesting book on a train / bus.
    Buy an inspirational book for a friend.
    Send a thank you note to a person who has helped you in the past.
    Smile a lot.

Really...random acts of kindness make us happier people.
    samurai_chica

Answer by samurai_chica at 10:32 AM on May. 11, 2011

• yoga & meditation also really works well. People who do yoga regularly & meditate regularly...are rarely depressed people.
    samurai_chica

Answer by samurai_chica at 10:33 AM on May. 11, 2011