Phentermine and a 1000 calorie diet?

My dr (not my usual one) gave me phentermine to help with weight loss...but she told me eat no more than 1000 calories a day and actually said if I could eat no more than 800 calories she'd be fine with that too.....I just think thats a low number? I actually have taken it 2 days now, and you are not hungry in the least, so its easy not to eat 800 calories but don't you need more for your body to perform basic functions?

thats_karma

Asked by thats_karma at 3:17 PM on Dec. 5, 2008 in Diet & Fitness

• I've been on taht before, and my doctor told me to make sure that I ate 1200 calories a day. That is, for a fairly active person, the minimum that you need to maintain normal body functions. I guess if you're not very active, then you may only need 1000, but 800 just seems way to low (and dangerous!).
    amy_k_in_pa

Answer by amy_k_in_pa at 3:38 PM on Dec. 5, 2008

• Well, and this is not to be mean at all. How big are you? I had a friend that was a pretty big girl, and she cut back to 1500 a day and lost 56 pounds. She told me to cut back to 1200, and I'm about average, and just wanna lose 20 pounds of old baby weight. I also walk alot, and so far that is doing great for me. I dont think that I could handle only 800 a day
    Amber1109

Answer by Amber1109 at 3:20 PM on Dec. 5, 2008

• That is very dangerous and unsustainable for the rest of your life. I suggest you read books on healthful eating and change your lifestyle. Unless you are really big and need to get it off asap---you are on a dangerous course that could lead to eating disorders. Look into books by the following: all doctors---
    Dr.Joel Fuhrman
    Dr. McDougall
    Dr. Oz
    Dr. Dean Ornish
    All are great and very healthy ways to eat.
    Anonymous

• I'm certainly no expert, but from all of the reading I've done, switching to such a low-calorie is not good for your metabolism. Not to mention, as anon 7:50 said, it's not something you'll be able to do for the rest of your life. So, once you return to your normal calorie intake, you're going to just gain back weight. You can go here to see how many calories you should eat daily:

http://www.bmi-calculator.net/bmr-calculator/harris-benedict-equation/calorie-intake-to-lose-weight.php
    sgalsmommy

Answer by sgalsmommy at 1:01 AM on Dec. 7, 2008