Labor Options

A little background: My first labor and delivery was a bit of a nightmare (with a good ending though). Water broke at home at 3am, doctors gave me Pitocin by 7am because even though I was contracting I wasn't doing it well enough, and my epidural didn't take. My daughter arrived 8 hours after my water broke and I delivered her without any pain medication what-so-ever.

I just really feel like the whole thing was rushed and I didn't know what questions to ask or what to expect.

Now that I know more, I definitely want to be more prepared. I'm now debating between trying the epidural again or going through a natural labor. I will be delivering at a hospital with my OBGYN.

My question is: what are my options as far as a natural labor goes? What methods did you use or are you going to use? What are the pros and cons for each one?

purvislets

Asked by purvislets at 3:17 PM on Dec. 5, 2008 in Pregnancy

• Don't try to be a hero...this is your time to shine. If you think you can do it without pain medicine, then by all means go for it, but if it just gets unbearble, get an epidural. They are not dangerous despite what some people think. You will be able to think that way because you are not in any pain. Then the questions will just come naturally!! Best of luck!
    bdmartin_81

Answer by bdmartin_81 at 3:20 PM on Dec. 5, 2008

• I agree. I don't want to be a hero, and I know I can do it without pain meds because I did it last time. My only concern with the epidural is that I put my faith in it last time and it didn't work at all. I had gotten comfortable in thinking my labor would be mostly pain-free, just to have all that ripped out from under me and being thrown into a natural labor unprepared.

The other issue from it was that I still suffer from back pain where the epidural was put in, even though it's been almost 3 years since I got it. It's a constant reminder of it and it just makes me so angry to think that I'm still suffering from something that didn't work!
    purvislets

Answer by purvislets at 3:23 PM on Dec. 5, 2008

• epidurals are dangerous.. do some research, they can also lead to a cascade of interventions. Educate yourself on all of your options and try to do what is best for you and baby, knowing the possible side effects of those options is a great place to start!! Your body was made to give birth and the pain that it does cause doesn't last forever!! GL
    mamaof2748

Answer by mamaof2748 at 3:26 PM on Dec. 5, 2008

• the bradley method and hypnobirthing are two types of chilbirth classes that I've heard work extremely well! I've watched a few videos of hypnobirths on youtube, they are amazing!
    mamaof2748

Answer by mamaof2748 at 3:28 PM on Dec. 5, 2008

• If you did it all natural last time, then that is what I would do this time. However, it is harder to do at a hospital because nurses think that you shouldn't be in pain. I am sorry, but birthing a baby is hard, painful work. That is what makes it so worth it. There is pride in birthing a baby the way a baby was meant to be born.
    Anonymous

• First of all, I always think it's best to go in with an open mind. With my first, I wanted to go natural, but I had terrible back labor, and the nurses kinda pushed me into having an epidural. Honestly, I didn't like it and I felt like it took away from the whole experience, but I'm not sure I could've made it the full 11.5 hours without anything.
    With #2 I had a drug free birth, it was great!! That might also be because it was only 3 hours...but I feel like the whole experience was better. I didn't use any particular methods, I just breathed through each contraction, even when they were easy(with #1, I didn't start breathing until they were hurting and by then I couldn't concentrate anymore)I stayed upright as long as possible.
    Paesana82

Answer by Paesana82 at 4:05 PM on Dec. 5, 2008

• You should think about going with a certified nurse midwife rather than an OB. They do not encourage natural births and even have most mothers laboring on their backs, which is the worst possible position. Also, you can't eat or walk around with an Ob most times, and studies have shown those two things help labor immensely. Read The Birth Book by Sears, it is really helpful.
    Anonymous

• con't
    Also, when it got really hard and I was in transition, I made lots of noise when I was breathing, I guess kind of moaning. It actually really helped, if I would've tried to stay quiet, I don't think I could've done it.
    I think the most important thing to do is to talk about what you want with your doc and decide what's best for you. If you decide to go natural, keep on telling yourself, it's not gonna last forever, just keep on breathing and the baby will come out and it'll all be over!
    It worked for me and I am 5'2" normally 112lbs and I had a 9lb baby in 3 hours with no drugs! Good luck!
    Paesana82

Answer by Paesana82 at 4:07 PM on Dec. 5, 2008

• Sorry I keep on writing, but I just wanted to say, I know a lot of OBs aren't very supportive of natural births, but mine is AWESOME! I had my baby in a hospital and my OB was sooo great, it was only the nurses who were annoying and wanted me to lay down. But my OB was there and he told me to do what I want. SO, that's why I think it's really important that IF you want a drug free birth you talk to your OB and make sure they're supportive, if not find another or a midwife.
    Paesana82

Answer by Paesana82 at 4:09 PM on Dec. 5, 2008

• i also agree with the midwife suggestion, or even a birthing center or homebirth!!
    mamaof2748

Answer by mamaof2748 at 4:19 PM on Dec. 5, 2008