Is it possible to use a trash can with a lid for a diaper pail?

I have used a couple of different diaper pails. I was doing some research trying to find a good diaper pail and I found that most of the diaper pails look like trash cans with a pop up lid and a foot pedal.
Have you ever used a small trash can with a pop up lid and a foot pedal? Do you think it would work okay?

CaptivatedByGod

Asked by CaptivatedByGod at 10:28 AM on May. 11, 2011 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Sure why not? I just used a regular small garbage can. Every few diapers I put them outside. I never let it build up to more than 3 diapers.
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 10:29 AM on May. 11, 2011

• sure,just wrap each diaper in a grocery sack and empty daily or twice daily

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 10:29 AM on May. 11, 2011

• You don't need a diaper pail, per se. I never had one. I would tightly wrap up my baby's diaper and put it in the regular trash (then make sure to take it out regularly). There was never any odor (believe me, I asked my friends and family when they walked in) and I didn't waste my money on a diaper Genie or additional pail.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:32 AM on May. 11, 2011

• We use our regular trash can. We end up emptying it at least once a day so it doesn't start to stink. My sister has a regular big trash can in her bathroom that she uses and it smells so bad you can't use the bathroom without holding your breath. When we were kids my mom used a big 5 gallon bucket with a good snap on lid. It was an old container for laundry detergent and you couldn't smell anything at all in that bathroom. Whatever works for you works :)
    alphamom26

Answer by alphamom26 at 10:33 AM on May. 11, 2011

• I use a trash can with a foot pedal for our DD's diapers. We just empty it every couple of days.
    jmpj8107

Answer by jmpj8107 at 10:38 AM on May. 11, 2011

• The key is to tightly wrap the dirty diapers each time.
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 10:44 AM on May. 11, 2011

• i have a regular pop up top trash can for diapers...when my dd goes #2 i flush it, then throw the diaper in the trash. we also use those odor block trash bags with it. i empty it every other day.
    happymom8262

Answer by happymom8262 at 11:02 AM on May. 11, 2011

• I use a little trash can with a snap lid and I keep a bakingsoda odor eliminator in the bottom. I used a diaper genie with #1 and it was worse for me. the changing and taking out the nasty built up diapers was awful.
    alligurl186

Answer by alligurl186 at 1:51 PM on May. 11, 2011

• Sure why not right
    newathis918

Answer by newathis918 at 2:20 PM on May. 11, 2011

• I have 5 kids and have never had a special trash can for diapers. We just toss them in the kitchen garbage which gets emptied almost daily. And we had 3 kids in diapers at one time.
    justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 3:31 PM on May. 11, 2011