Is this normal behaviour? (long)

DS is 6.
* hurts his sister when she doesn't play the games 'right' (biting, yelling, stressing out )
*His writing sucks Always fails penmanship
*refuses to do school work. (throws papers in the floor, climbs under the desk) The tantrums stop when they threaten to call the office but he still won't work
*Simple request like clear you plate form the table so we can have dessert can send him into a tizzy. ' I don't even want dessert. I hate dessert!'
* gets angry and throws things at his bedroom door screaming stuff like How he hates me and his room.
*freaks out when we try to cut his nails or wash his hair.
*Can't tie his shoes.
*He's super smart but won't prove it at school. He know words like, accustomed, frequently and perhaps and uses these words regularly in every day conversation! I never met a 6 year old who talks like this! Plus he gets hung up on 'fact' He wants to have all the info on everything animal, space and electronic engineering related. Even at the zoo he has to read all the info on all the exhibits before we can move on and remembers a lot of it.
*Things like Pajama day or end of year activities make him have bad days every time.
*If you try to make him stop doing something he likes he flips out over the top!
*He has no friends. I mean he has kids he talks to but no real friends....
Is this normal or is there something wrong with him. I mean does he have some sort of anger issue or something? The ped seems to not be to worried but the school is talking about having him evaluated for a 504(?) plan. DH says he is just hard headed and spoiled. I just don't know!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:32 AM on May. 11, 2011 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• Sounds like several things.

1. Maybe he needs to be approached differently with everything.
    2. Might have a high-functioning Autism issue.
    3. Could just be spoiled and not disciplined like he needs.
    4. Could be a slight case of ODD.
    5. Could just be a high strung child.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 10:45 AM on May. 11, 2011

• Take that list to his Peds Doc. Sounds like there may be an issue to me. Even if it turns out he is just spoiled and hard headed, I would rather check and be sure than not do anything and have him struggle educationally and emotionally and socially.
    1lv2stks3nlz4ev

Answer by 1lv2stks3nlz4ev at 10:46 AM on May. 11, 2011

• I thought Autistic kids didn't talk and screamed a lot. What is high-functioning?
    If he is spoiled it isn't me doing it because he looses privileges left and right and spends more time in his room than with the family because of his choice to accept consequence rather than act right.
    I am not sure what ODD is...
    What can I do to fix his if he is one of these things? His ped seem snot real worried about says the school can deal with it and handed me a parenting book.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 10:48 AM on May. 11, 2011

• I thought Autistic kids didn't talk and screamed a lot.

That is one major myth & misconception. My nephew talks up a huge storm (speaks really well, clearly, knows & uses a ton of huge words, etc) and has never been a screamer. Sure, there are kids who don't talk and some do scream a lot, but it's not the majority. Your child needs to be evaluated for a few possibilities.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:52 AM on May. 11, 2011

• This is a link to some information on what a 504 plan is:

http://www.greatschools.org/special-education/legal-rights/868-section-504.gs?page=1

I would try for more structure and routine at home, and involve your son in the planning of it. I would also look for a parenting book for parenting the difficult or challenging child. My son couldn't tie his shoes until he was almost 8, had bad handwriting, and didn't enjoy having his nails trimmed. But his behavior and grades were excellent. Every child is different, but it seems like your son is showing a pattern. The sooner you start addressing and dealing with his behavior, the better the results. Remember, its just behavior, it can change. Work with the school, and your child, and keep loving him bunches! Try to get Dad on board, he sounds like he is in denial, he's just scared. Good luck! I know everything will work out...
    dwmom2008

Answer by dwmom2008 at 10:59 AM on May. 11, 2011

• On the autistic note, My next door neighbor, is 7, and is medium-high autistic. He does throw tantrums and the littlest things set him off. like, he will come to the door and ask for my son(Kayden) to play, when I tell him he is not home, he will start to scream and cry that he does not have a lot of time to play outside. On another note, he is 7 , and at a 3rd grade level educationally. Reads, writes, math is off the charts, though he can not interact socially in school, so the school has dropped him from 5-3 days a week. It seems to me that there is definatly something that is not on level with him. Is he a only child? Is he treated right at school, and is the teacher helping to correct these problems at school or trying to determine a motive? A.D.D. I would definatly bring the same list that you showed us to a dr appointment, or even a counseler. As a child I was A.D.H.D, and to this day I praise the child psychiatrist I
    indysownlilbit

Answer by indysownlilbit at 11:19 AM on May. 11, 2011

• Went to because she taught me little things like how to adjust to certain situations without getting mad or sad, and try to find the positive side of things and then when I proved that I could change my ways, I got rewarded. Maybe try to sit with him, and try at home to work with him with a reward chart. ex.. finish your dinner in a reasonable time, get a star on the chart, once there is 7 stars on the chart, lets go for ice cream...... good luck with everything, like someone said, behavior can change unless it is a consistant habit with no reinforcement.
    indysownlilbit

Answer by indysownlilbit at 11:23 AM on May. 11, 2011

• There are SO many different types and levels of Autism that anyone of us could possibly considered having it slightly.
    ODD is Oppositional Defiant Disorder.
    One can be spoiled in attitude despite loosing privlidges.
    You need to have him looked at and tested by a Child Psychiatrist to determine if there is indeed something going on or just to learn a new approach with him.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 11:44 AM on May. 11, 2011

• I'd have him screened for several possibilities. Make an appointment today.
    meooma

Answer by meooma at 11:56 AM on May. 11, 2011

• If the ped can't do it then who does. Who screen him. the schools not doing anything until next year in first grade. Does he have to go to a psychiatrist or something?
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 12:10 PM on May. 11, 2011