Stuttering

My son has a friend in our apartment complex who stutters A LOT. English is not his first language so I wonder if that's why or if it aggravates the problem or maybe has nothing to do with anything.
My question is this... being that I can usually figure out what he's trying to say which is better... for me to say the word for him so he doesn't have to struggle or be patient and let him work it out. For moms who have kids with this problem, what is the right way to handle it?

Nicoles2LilRams

Asked by Nicoles2LilRams at 10:33 AM on May. 11, 2011 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• Let him finish what he is saying, and don't act frustrated while he is speaking. It's really wonderful that you cared enough to ask!
    dwmom2008

Answer by dwmom2008 at 10:40 AM on May. 11, 2011

• I know a lot of kids that stuttered. Usually they become withdrawn and quiet because other kids make fun of them. I think it's important to let him finish his sentence and just tell him to take his time. If he is REALLY struggling then I don't think you'll hurt his feelings by helping him. It's good that your son is his friend :)
    Alexias30

Answer by Alexias30 at 10:41 AM on May. 11, 2011

• Don't say the words for him. Be patient & wait. I know this is really, really hard, but if you say the words for him, it will make him more self-conscious.

And I agree, what a caring person you are to want to do what's best for this little boy :)
    sweetpotato418

Answer by sweetpotato418 at 1:36 PM on May. 11, 2011

• Thanks for the input ladies, Ive been usually letting him work it out so it's good to know that it's the right thing.
    Nicoles2LilRams

Comment by Nicoles2LilRams (original poster) at 11:24 AM on May. 15, 2011