oh to add to my question..

When YOU wash your babies clothing, do you always use baby detergent or just normal detergent?

I dont have baby detergent yet, but the detergent we do have is Tide with Downy in it and we always use a liquid fabric softener in the middle of the cycle.

Can i just use that? or no?

KelsoBabeyy

Asked by KelsoBabeyy at 3:18 PM on Dec. 5, 2008 in Pregnancy

• You are going to want to use the baby detergent for at least the first few months. Baby's skin can be very sensitive and certain detergents or fabric softeners can irritate their skin.
    purvislets

Answer by purvislets at 3:20 PM on Dec. 5, 2008

• that should be fine.. We just use the detergent that doesn't have any dyes or fragrences in it.
    mamaof2748

Answer by mamaof2748 at 3:20 PM on Dec. 5, 2008

• I use regular detergent, I use tide (without bleach). When I dry, I don't use fabric softner. I didn't use baby detergent with my oldest either. I would say, try it without baby detergent and if your baby seems like she gets a rash or something, then switch to baby.
    a_and_j_momma

Answer by a_and_j_momma at 3:20 PM on Dec. 5, 2008

• okay, yeah i think ill just use what i have now but wihtouth the liguid softener and if it seems to irritate her ill buy something else like dreft but i dont see harm in it as of right now.

thanks ladies :)
    KelsoBabeyy

Answer by KelsoBabeyy at 3:22 PM on Dec. 5, 2008

• my mom said when i was a baby i got a horrible rash from clothes washed with normal detergent. but it really depends on the baby. some babies can handle it fine and some will have a horrible reaction. u could try with the normal stuff and if it irritates, wash with something free & clear
    Butterflysky_24

Answer by Butterflysky_24 at 3:26 PM on Dec. 5, 2008

• that should be fine unless your baby starts to break out where his clothes are touching his skin. i used powdered cheer and a generic brand of color safe bleach for my son and he never had any problem with it
    Crystal1124

Answer by Crystal1124 at 3:38 PM on Dec. 5, 2008

• I used my normal detergent and fabric softener and never had an issue.
    reflect1light

Answer by reflect1light at 3:40 PM on Dec. 5, 2008

• Babies are usually more sensitive to fragrances and dyes. What I was told was to wash all baby's clothes (new and used) in baby detergent (like Dreft). Use it for the first couple of wks. Then wash a couple of outfits with your clothes in regular detergent and see if she has a reaction.
    srhmldndo

Answer by srhmldndo at 3:47 PM on Dec. 5, 2008

• I used my normal detergent, and no one had issues.
    prettyrayray

Answer by prettyrayray at 3:59 PM on Dec. 5, 2008

• With my first I used the baby detergent, and after a while I was so tired of buying two separate detergents for washing clothes. With my babies, I would buy a detergent that was allergen free and double rinse the clothes. My kids did really well and we never saw a rash. It all depends on the childs skin. Pay attention when you switch to a new soap or laundry detergent, so you have a cause for a rash. That would be one of the first questions that a doctors office would ask if you were to take the child in for a rash reaction....
    taracv

Answer by taracv at 4:16 PM on Dec. 5, 2008