What is going on with my 4 yr old?

She has been like a different kid these last about 3 mos. I have 6 kids she's 4th in line lol(4 mos old twins under her) As far as the babies go she's been a perfect little helper and seems to be happy that she's finally "older" than someone. However when it comes to my older kids she's been a nightmare for them. She is constantly using, abusing, and losing thier stuff. For example when she should be in the bathroom washing her hands, she decides to put soap on the other kids toothbrushes. When she is supposed to be in her room getting dressed for pre-k she is busy drawing on her tv with her older sister's lipgloss, getting into both of her sister's jewelry boxes etc. I always end up catching her but its tricky because she manages to reap her havoc while she is doing things i used to be able to trust her to do without close supervision. Took her older brother's money out of his wallet i mean the list goes on. When i ask the kids to put thier special things where she can't reach them she's gone as far to fake she can't reach them in front of the kids, next thing i know i will catch her with one of the "things" and she will state "so and so said i can have/play with it" When i say i thought so and so put that up where you shouldn't get it she will admit that she faked she couldn't reach it and that she really CAN reach it! lol Well anyway i'm to the point where i feel i've tried everything the famous how would you like it if it happened to you lecture, time outs, taken things away, no snack after dinner, and even once a spanking(which was a joke because she just looked at me) any other suggestions?

Genice6

Asked by Genice6 at 10:33 AM on May. 11, 2011 in General Parenting

• Maybe she is looking for some time alone with you. If it were me i would taker her out by herself, maybe for lunch or ice cram or even just to the park. I would talk to her about what is going on and see if she will explain. It sounds like she is looking for attention and getting in trouble gives her that attention. You could also start with a reward system. What I did was glass jars and colored marbles. When my children behaved or did something good they got a marble. If they misbehaved I would take a marble away. After "X" amount of marbles they got a special treat like having their favorite dinner or spending alone time with mommy or going out for ice cream.

Good Luck!
    cornflakegirl3

Answer by cornflakegirl3 at 10:39 AM on May. 11, 2011

• Maybe she thinks that now she isnt the youngest in the line up that she is able to do things like that now? Have her siblings done similar things to her in the past? If so then maybe she thinks she is apart of the club or something lol Otherwise I dont know!
    Mel30248

Answer by Mel30248 at 10:35 AM on May. 11, 2011

• Sounds to me like she's looking for attention. Ask your older kids if they'd each be willing to do something special with her for 1-2 hours a week, and also to help with the babies so YOU can have some one-on-one time with her every week, even if it's just going to get groceries or taking a walk. She's also old enough to be sat down and have a talk about what's acceptable behavior. Your older kids need to help out more with her and keep accountable for watching her with their things. Maybe putting locks on their doors would help too - just the little hook-and-eye ones up high where she can't reach - same in the bathroom, let them put their toothbrushes up high where she can't reach them.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:48 AM on May. 11, 2011