Have you tried this for Baby Eczema?

My 5 month old has what his doctor calls "Blondie syndrome " He gets eczema all over his body so the doctor recommended I put a teaspoon full of bleach and half of cup of baking soda in his bath. I usually forget to add the bleach since I am not use to that but the baking soda helps soothe his skin. Before he would itch so bad he scratch his body up. We had to put socks on his hands! The bleach is suppose to help kill any bacteria I guess. What are your thoughts?

I do think the baking soda works well without the bleach. I also use Aveeno body wash and California baby lotion it works well. Tea tree oil does nothing.

Oh and I do use clear water for his face and head so it does not get into his eyes.

momavanessa

Asked by momavanessa at 10:36 AM on May. 11, 2011 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Bleach? I use the Aveno for my lil one. And when he has a flare up, I use reg. Cortisone 10 . Works great for the itching!
    Mylprice

Answer by Mylprice at 11:28 AM on May. 11, 2011

• i wouldn't use bleach, idc what the doctor said
    josiesmommy00

Answer by josiesmommy00 at 10:37 AM on May. 11, 2011

• I have not personally tried this but my friend did. Worked wonders for her baby. My FIL has severe psoriasis and swimming in a chlorinated pool works wonders for him. The bleach in the bathwater is the same concept (imo) as pool water.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:38 AM on May. 11, 2011

• wow,I'd be afraid of it getting in his eyes,mouth,nose! There has to be other products out there that are antibacterial but are natural. How about tea tree oil?

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 10:41 AM on May. 11, 2011

• Two of my DD's have eczema. One is super severe and she itches constantly at it without even realizing. We use steroid creams, hydrocortisone and scent free creams like Aveeno and Eucerin. A new one out called Sarna is suppossed to be good as well. Her doctor also advised us to start giving her Zyrtec after she itched her body constantly while at her physical exam. It seems to cut down on all the itching, which in turn doesn't cause her to start bleeding and get infected. We also use vitamin E oil on her fingertips because they crack and peel so bad. I have also heard of the bleach in the bathtub but haven't used it. It does make sense though because she does do better when she is swimming in a chlorinated pool.
    aaf237

Answer by aaf237 at 10:51 AM on May. 11, 2011

• the bleach has drying properties as well as being a "base" rather than an "acid" and antibacterial properties. If you use the amount recommended by the doctor, it would be safe and helpful.
    jmpj8107

Answer by jmpj8107 at 11:20 AM on May. 11, 2011

• Dairy is a huge culprit in eczema flair-ups.
    Anonymous

• Sounds too harsh to me. I used Eucerine (the one that comes in a tub). I slathered it on thickly after the bath. It helped.
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 10:43 AM on May. 11, 2011

• I have heard about this, but i have never used it on my 4yr old that has had ezema since birth. nothing works for hers, it cracks and bleeds, we have tried allergy meds, prescription steroid creams, hydrocortozone, bendryle cream, otc creams, nothing works. i just put the hydrocortozone on it cause it does prevent it from getting worse alittle and i use triple antibiotic ointment when she scatches it to prevent infection
    fun3oo

Answer by fun3oo at 10:43 AM on May. 11, 2011

• My son has had severe eczema since he was 2 months old. I never did the bleach thing either although you could try it unless you feel that the baking soda alone is working. Now that my son is older, he is 14, he has much better control over the eczema.

Good Luck!
    cornflakegirl3

Answer by cornflakegirl3 at 10:43 AM on May. 11, 2011