Denture problems....

a little background info- my oldest brother married a woman that is the same age as our mom; she's very fit, dresses well, etc etc. My sister- whom she works for as well as my mom is a very beautiful, hard working, successful woman. Both of which are concerned with looking nice, brand names, etc. My mom, having raised 6 kids on very little all her life has not been so interested in brands, and looks so much. Always been practical. After a trip to Europe, that all changed, but my sister and my sister in law talked her into having dentures done because they noticed how even though my mom has loads to be happy about, she never smiled because her teeth weren't totally perfect. (She's terrified of dentists, fyi) Well, to make a long story short- everyone tells her how great they look and blah blah blah, cost my mom $5000 and she HATES them! The glue doesn't hold, she tastes it all day long, she can't eat salads anymore, or pretty much anything that requires chewing. She regrets it horribly because she gave up her love of very nice foods in exchange for a pretty smile no one sees because she's so self concious of them falling out.

My question is this: Can anyone recommend a type of glue, or bond or paste, IDK much about dentures.... Is there a product out there that works well- something you or someone you know uses?? Please share? My poor mom lives all alone and she is soooo miserable. I'd like to be able to tell her something that can make it a little better that actually works and may allow her to actually eat the foods she's given up. Thanks in advance Ladies!!!

KariLyn84

Asked by KariLyn84 at 10:40 AM on May. 11, 2011 in Health

• Hi, sorry about your Mom's problems. That sounds awful. My mom wears a partial, and I know all about feeling self-conscious. You cannot even tell my mom has some false teeth, but for YEARS only I knew, not even my sister! And she would ask me all the time if they looked "fake". People are really funny about teeth I tell ya! I found a simple article on the web that has some advice. it does take time to get used to them. the only caution i have is don't use a denture paste with zinc, most are zinc free, but check, it can cause health problems. Dentures can be adjusted, and she needs to keep up with the dental care, cleanings, etc. even though she doesn't have teeth. Here's the link, best of luck, and tell your Mom how beautiful she is, we all love to hear that, right?

http://www.simplestepsdental.com/SS/ihtSSPrint/r.WSIHW000/st.31862/t.32276/pr.3/c.354246.html
    dwmom2008

Answer by dwmom2008 at 11:20 AM on May. 11, 2011

• I would suggest she go back to the dentist and tell him/her that they are uncomfortable and do not fit very well. The DDS can do adjustments to smooth away any spots that rub and cause sore spots, and they could try relining the dentures and see if that gives her a better fit.
    MizLee

Answer by MizLee at 11:44 AM on May. 11, 2011