Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

For those of you who have been divorced

Does anyone have any info for MN. Cost? How do you go about spliting custody, things in the house ect? I'm a stay at home mom with no money his money is his money pretty much so if I leave I will have nothing. I can go to my parents, but I wouldn't want to stay their long. So I'm just curious what kind of help I could get until I got on my own feet. Any info would be appreciated. Thanks.


Asked by Ambie0526 at 10:47 AM on May. 11, 2011 in Relationships

Level 16 (2,562 Credits)
This question is closed.
Answers (5)
  • We did it without a lawyer. We went & bought the paperwork & filled it all our ourselves, made our own schedule & decided on child support with no lawyer. We payed a total of $80 for our divorce...with court fees & stuff.

    You on the other hand, need to find a lawyer. His money won't be his money any longer....and that mentality pisses off the judge. They hate to see fathers not willing to help their ex wife & kids financially. If he refuses to give you child support or spousal support, they will take it right out of his paycheck.

    If you have no money for a lawyer, the court might make him pay for it. I suggest you file for the divorce first. It looks better on your behalf if you file before your husband does.

    Just go talk to a lawyer...they will speak to you for free & tell you what you should do...

    Answer by Anonymous at 10:55 AM on May. 11, 2011

  • His money is NOT his money!
    Call a lawyer. They should be able to give you some basic info to get you going.
    Custody and house is stuff that you'll have to agree on mutually. And there is a think called alimony.... you'll be ok!

    Answer by MrsDAP at 10:50 AM on May. 11, 2011

  • i was lucky because my ex & i agreed on everything....which is the ONLY reason we were able to do ot without a lawyer. If he won't give you money, you need to get a lawyer soon.

    Answer by Anonymous at 10:56 AM on May. 11, 2011

  • depends. Is he in agreement with the divorce. If so then u can go to the courthouse, or download the divorce papers on line. fill them out agreeing on who gets what, take it back to the court house, pay and have it filed. Without an attoney. But if you know he will not go for any of that then research attorneys low cost, call around to see if you qualify for a free attorney. He will have to help with alimony for you and child support for the baby. some type. Hit me up and I'll help research....

    Answer by kkbird at 10:59 AM on May. 11, 2011

  • I'd get an attorney. Child support for sure, alimony perhaps.

    Answer by meooma at 11:25 AM on May. 11, 2011