Kids an potty breaks at school.

Should teachers be allowed to deny a child access to the toilet during school hours? I mean like middle and high schoolers. My DD is in 8th grade and started her period this year. she is in the same class 'team' for mos to f the day. They have one potty break before lunch and then they can go potty during 'electives' change but they only have 5 min between classes! She has been told 'no' about going to the bathroom so many times she won't even ask now and is insisting I allow her to wear tampons and she always get home from school bursting of a pee. I have tried to talk to the school and they said it is a safety issues. I asked about the health issues involved and they said safety first... Should this be allowed?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:52 AM on May. 11, 2011 in Tweens (9-12)

• imo, no...when i was in school we could ask to go and they'd give a hall pass
    josiesmommy00

Answer by josiesmommy00 at 10:53 AM on May. 11, 2011

• Go higher than the principal if you have to.
    How little are they doing to keep your child safe if using the bathroom is a 'safety issue anyway?
    Octobersmom

Answer by Octobersmom at 10:59 AM on May. 11, 2011

• My son went to detention for getting "disruptive" and "defiant" and had "willful disobedience" because he INSISTED that he needed to go to the restroom in class. This has happened 2 different years. The schools are nuts.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 11:00 AM on May. 11, 2011

• No she could get a bladder or kidney infection that could do permanent damage! Schools are becoming a joke!
    harris4

Answer by harris4 at 11:00 AM on May. 11, 2011

• no I don't think they should be aloud to say kids can't go. When I was in school we had 10 minutes between classes even that isn't enough time, by the time you go to your locker and go to the bathroom you don't have enough time to get to class in time before the bell. There was one time I asked teacher said no so I walked out because I actaully started bleeding through my clothes. She tried giving me a detention until my mom came up to the school. My dd is in kindergarden they have a bathroom right there in the classroom and she says the teacher doesn't ever let any of the kids go to the bathroom they have to wait until bathroom break. You aren't supose to hold it so I don't think they should make you. Even if you hold it and wait until lunch to go by the time you get to lunch and your locker you have a huge long line to wait in and by time you get your food you don't have much time to eat.
    mommy5409

Answer by mommy5409 at 11:00 AM on May. 11, 2011

• No, frankly if any teacher denied my child going to the bathroom, I'd be down there haveing a not so nice talk with said teacher (in fact we have) That is a definite health issue and if the principal won't do anything about it, get a bunch of parents together and address it at a board meeting. I'd also go to the district superintendant and call the head of education at your state capitol.
    meriana

Answer by meriana at 11:01 AM on May. 11, 2011

• Ha, I had the same problem - I had a teacher tell me I was going to need a note from the doctor saying I had a kidney issue and some such stuff to be allowed to go more frequently. So...you could always get a note from your doc saying something to that effect, that if she's not allowed to go when she needs to she's going to get a kidney infection which her body could not handle...! I'll do it for my girls when the time comes if they have any issues.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:02 AM on May. 11, 2011

• Oh yeah...he also has many tardies because they don't have time between classes. And talking to the school gets you no where.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 11:03 AM on May. 11, 2011

• wow 5 and 10 minutes between classes...would have been nice, we had 2 minutes and a single 10 minute break in the morning. The lines at the bathrooms during break made it nearly impossible to use them and the 2 minutes was just BARELY enough time to get from one end of the school to another if you classes were in separate wings.
    School are not practical or logical with these things IMO
    Octobersmom

Answer by Octobersmom at 11:03 AM on May. 11, 2011

• NOPE!!! i'd be up there in a heart beat. If my child needs to use the restroom, she's going!!!!! and then WE'LL handle it from there. These teachers have no idea about the childrens health ya know. Or whats going on with them, tummy upset, gotta poop, throw up, periods etc.
    kkbird

Answer by kkbird at 11:09 AM on May. 11, 2011