What would you do if you knew your child didn't wash up after using the bathroom?

My adult daughter recently admitted that she doesn't wash her hands after using the facilities. At home, that's gross ~ but there are times I get in a hurry and forget, too. However, she went on to add that she doesn't even do it at work, and she is in a food-service industry where she handles food in preparation for making pizza. How can I get her to understand how important it is to not spread germs in this way, short of calling her company and risking her job.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:20 PM on Dec. 5, 2008 in Adult Children (18+)

• call work anonymously. Tell them you saw a worker go back to work without washing hands. Ask them if they will discuss hygiene and the importance of it or if you need to call the health dept and ask them to do it.

Answer by admckenzie at 10:11 PM on Dec. 5, 2008

• Just recently there was a news story with a video clip of a woman who contracted a tape worm that embedded in her brain. The doctor said she got it from another person's poor hygiene. Search for the video and show it to her!!!!! They thought she had a brain tumor until they went in to remove it and found the worm. It was an actual news story--not an email forwarded thing:-)
    Anonymous

• If risking her job is going to keep other people from getting really sick you should. She can spread something really bad to a whole lot of people. If you found out that someone at a restaurant that you really loved wasn't washing their hands after going to the bathroom and they were the ones that made food, how upset would you be. On top of that kids and the elderly can get VERY sick to the point of hospitalization because of people not washing their hands properly and preparing food.
    Amber1109

Answer by Amber1109 at 3:29 PM on Dec. 5, 2008

• Oh boy this really turns my stomach... This country is in such default with our deficit do we really need to add more injury to pain by yet another lawsuit? Please do call her employer you might be saving a life there is such a thing as salmonella, food poisoning... people die because of it. I tell you, it's become harder for me to enjoy dining out for these very issues. But may I ask, why on earth haven't you practiced washing your hands regularly when using the bathroom at all times? I am appalled by this. I believe this should be second to nature & no matter how much of a rush you are in you wash your hands with soap & water. These are not primitive times & even then, they found ways to create soap. Everyone PLEASE spread the word wash your hands with SOAP especially after you've used the bathrooms NO EXCUSES ...I don't care if you go to the bathroom @ 3:00 AM and are half asleep.

Bellafleurs

Answer by Bellafleurs at 4:02 PM on Dec. 5, 2008

• ...Perhaps you should make her read this, I know, I will make my family read this so they can better understand the madness behind my obsession. Thanks for sharing though. Oh and when washing, it has been said, you should let the water run to the tune of twinkle, twinkle with enough friction. This is also why I shy away from shaking hands on certain situations.
    Bellafleurs

Answer by Bellafleurs at 4:03 PM on Dec. 5, 2008

• Ok, I will admit it, I don't wash my hands after going to the bathroom usually. Honestly, there really is no need to if you are just peeing because pee is sterile. However, not doing it at work is gross. There are so many germs in those public bathrooms. Just be up front with her that her job is at stake because it is the LAW that she has to wash her hands after using the bathroom when at work.
    purpleducky

Answer by purpleducky at 6:58 PM on Dec. 5, 2008

• If the board of health finds out she can be fined. She would probably lose her job over it too. I don't care if it's after using the bathroom or not - the hands have more germs than any other part of the body.
    PrttyMstng

Answer by PrttyMstng at 8:42 PM on Dec. 5, 2008

• have any of you read those signs ?? just reading them i feel bed if i think about not washing. California law AND COMMON DECENCY requires all blah blah WASH YOUR HANDS.
    humboldtmama21

Answer by humboldtmama21 at 4:03 AM on Dec. 6, 2008