I know there are test for checking down syndeome b4 birth but if the test come out neg. can the baby still have it even if neg?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:31 PM on Dec. 5, 2008 in Pregnancy

• yes cuz the test they do for downs is just blood work you cant know everything. the chance goes down if the test came back neg but yes sometimes it does happen i would stress about it though.
    Anonymous

• I don't know for certain but my friend was told she should abort her baby because he would most likely be a downs baby based on tests and he was absolutely normal.
    Anonymous

• Would it change your mind on your baby? Would you love it less? Feel more prepared?
    Anonymous

• Yes, your baby can still have down's. My first son did and all tests were negative. If you are really worried about it, ask your doctor for a level 2 or 3 ultrasound. They can measure things like the thickness of the skin on the back of the neck, bone growth, brain function, and heart development which are all key factors to down's. I'll be praying for you. Oh and whatever you do, DO NOT have an abortion. This is your gift from God. Down's children are the sweetest!!
    bdmartin_81

Answer by bdmartin_81 at 3:37 PM on Dec. 5, 2008

• That's why I wouldn't even do the quad-test. They hand out too many positives and make the mommy and daddy worry so much, and in the end it turns out he or she is perfectly healthy and normal. There are way more false positives for Down's than false negatives.
    srhmldndo

Answer by srhmldndo at 3:41 PM on Dec. 5, 2008

• Yes, your child can still have it. No test is 100%
    Anonymous

• what the hell are you talking about ano 3:35 I was just asking.
    Anonymous

• Yes, you can get a false negative result, but they aren't very common. No test can tell you 100% whether or not your baby will have downs, but a combination of blood tests, amniocentisis and ultrasound can give you the most accurate results.
    purvislets

Answer by purvislets at 4:28 PM on Dec. 5, 2008

• you can never tell with those test,alot of peoples comes back positive an have very normal and healthy babies,i wouldnt worry
    alaina_20

Answer by alaina_20 at 5:18 PM on Dec. 5, 2008

• I have two friends and both were told that their baby would have down syndrome and both babies were born HEALTHY with no downsyndrome!
    Mimomof3boys

Answer by Mimomof3boys at 10:10 PM on Dec. 5, 2008