Were your parents strict or laid back when you were growing up?

Did that have an impact on how you deal with your children?

jmpj8107

Asked by jmpj8107 at 11:04 AM on May. 11, 2011 in General Parenting

• My parents were strict when they needed to be and lax when it was okay to be lax. I think I parented pretty much in the same way that they did. What's really neat is to see our children parenting pretty much the same way. If you find something works, why not stick to it???
    NannyB.

Answer by NannyB. at 11:05 AM on May. 11, 2011

• SUPER strict. I am laid back.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 11:06 AM on May. 11, 2011

• They were a combination of both. They knew when to be strict, but also let us be kids. I think that has a huge impact on how I raise my DS. We have rules and consequences, but we still allow him to be a kid. From what I've seen on here, there are many parents who do the same. That always makes me happy :)
    amberdawnbarr

Answer by amberdawnbarr at 11:07 AM on May. 11, 2011

• My parents were not as strict as I am in some departments and I am more laid back than she was in other. Many things have impacted my parenting skills/choices from my parents choices, to research and parenting books all the way to DS diagnosis of Autism. All of those things have made major impacts on how I choose to parent.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 11:07 AM on May. 11, 2011

• My mother was and is very conservative, strict and abusive. How has it affected my parenting? Simple, I'm not abusive, I only create restrictions when there is a danger involved. And I allow my children to lead their own lives rather than forcing them to be who I want them to be.

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 11:08 AM on May. 11, 2011

• STRICT!!!!!! oh soooo strict LOL but my DS is only 18mnths so hes pretty spoiled LOL
    kylansmommy09

Answer by kylansmommy09 at 11:09 AM on May. 11, 2011

• My parents were more or less spineless, though in their defense, I had undiagnosed personality and other psychological disorders that made me a handful. Conversely, that they remained undiagnosed until I was an adult as they never took me for any sort of diagnosis or treatment reinforces the lax parenting aspect. Yes, it impacts my parenting. I intend to be far more proactive and involved with my children, and not allow them whatever they wish simply to avoid tantrums.
    bishopblack

Answer by bishopblack at 11:10 AM on May. 11, 2011

• My mom NEVER treated us the same. She was SUPER strict with me and laid back with my little sister the middle one!! I will raise my sons with the same rules and punishments and not favor the one over the other! I will not be too laid back and let them do whatever they want and think I am not the one in charge but I also will not be really strict!

momavanessa

Answer by momavanessa at 11:11 AM on May. 11, 2011

• I was pretty much ignored
    adnilm

Answer by adnilm at 11:12 AM on May. 11, 2011

• My mom (my parents split) was stricter with me then she is now with my sisters, I was 17 and a to be home at 9pm, my sisters being 15 and 16 can stay out until 1am! My mom never checks in on them, or has them do chores, which chores was my life growing up, and I couldn't go an hour with out my mom calling me.....I am not strict and I am not laid back...I am in between. Granted my oldest is only 4, so I am not sure my parenting type as my kids get into their teen age years!
    HStarin

Answer by HStarin at 11:19 AM on May. 11, 2011