How to tell if you are using right size prefold cloth diaper?

So I am trying out cloth daipers and I just recieved my pack of them in the mail last night. I am not sure but I think my prefolds may be too big. They are way buky when I put them on my boy, but I am not sure if that is how they are supposed to be? Does anyone have any "rules" or anything on how to tell if I bought the wrong size?

b130

Asked by b130 at 3:32 PM on Dec. 5, 2008 in General Parenting

• they will shrink up once prepped...not sure if you did that yet, but it takes about 4-5 hot washes/drys to get them ready for use. I used to fold them in at the sides and down in the back to make the rise smaller. There's usually a size guide on most cd stores that tells you which ones are appropriate for which pound ranges.

If they are too big, you can sell them or trade them on diaperswappers.com with ease:)
    HTH!
    MommytoNakoa

Answer by MommytoNakoa at 3:36 PM on Dec. 5, 2008

• You kinda have to deal with bulkiness with cloth, I think! Like above poster said, they'll shrink up.
    sfwilson

Answer by sfwilson at 4:25 PM on Dec. 5, 2008

• When my brother was in cloth (and darn it I wanted to have them for my daughter but we didn't have a washer/dryer when I first had her) I taught a baby sitter how to fold them (I was 5). I told her it needed to look like a volcano. So you fold the sides in like this / \ so the front side isn't as wide as the back. But, that was back when they didn't have the awesome covers they do now and she had to use pins. So I'm not sure if they same "rules" apply now or not. And if they are too big, he's going to get bigger in the future so you might as well hang on to them for the time being.
    jemm

Answer by jemm at 11:49 PM on Dec. 5, 2008