My new accessory, the Epi-Pen!

My son was just prescribed an Epi-Pen! Because he is allergic to mosquito bites! Wow! We are going to have a challenging summer to be sure, because we live in FL and are outside constantly! Buy stock in SC Johnson ladies, because we are about to be using Deep Woods Off! in record quantities over here.

My question is for Moms that already use Epi-Pens, any tips or tricks on how to remember to carry them around and how to store them when we are outdoors, like a day at the river in 90 degree heat? Or a day at the beach? We already have to carry around an inhaler for DS's asthma, so I think I can remember to take it around, but I don't necessarily keep the inhaler "cool" because you don't really have to.

Thank goodness that DS doesn't mind shots either, that was a blessing!

dwmom2008

Asked by dwmom2008 at 11:08 AM on May. 11, 2011 in Health

• I don't know if your insurance covers more than one Epipen. Having one in the home, one at school, and one for the car. I'm not sure about the storage I would guess is room temperature. 9O degrees seems to be excessive. Maybe storaging the Epipen in the cooler might be a good way to remember to bring it. Or put in your set of keys a reminder. I had my son's old epipen package cut and laminated to fit my key chain this way I remember to bring his epipen at all times.
    MMXI

Answer by MMXI at 11:28 AM on May. 11, 2011

• Really? My son has "skeeters syndrome" also and he was never prescribed it.. we are in MN which is like the state bug too lol!~
    I guess biggest thing is preventing it the best you can and having Benadryl on hand also - sad when this happens for how bad the bite gets.. :(
    maxsmom11807

Answer by maxsmom11807 at 11:29 AM on May. 11, 2011

• If you have insurance get more than one.  When my dd was very young, I had 3.  One at school, one in my purse and one in the kitchen.  Now she is a teenager, she has one in her schoolbag and I have one in the kitchen which I grab and shove in my purse on the way out.

You have my sympathies momma.  It's not going to be easy keeping away from mosquito's. 

Tip:  Always keep Benadryl at home and give it to him at the first sign of trouble, before the epipen and give it to him before he goes outside as a first line of defense.

beeky

Answer by beeky at 12:32 PM on May. 11, 2011

• Oh my, best of luck with this. Mosquito allergy in Florida--YIKES!
    jmpj8107

Answer by jmpj8107 at 1:30 PM on May. 12, 2011

• That's a great idea MMXI, to put something on the keychain! I am going to do that today!

Yeah, maxsmom11807, my son has asthma too, and I think that has something to do with it. The really crazy thing is, he was just allergy tested again when school began back in August, and no allergies! So it developed over 6 months. I have problems with bug bites, but nothing like his!

The last two bites he had, he woke up with in the morning, short of putting a bug zapper in the house, I don't know what to do :(
    dwmom2008

Comment by dwmom2008 (original poster) at 11:52 AM on May. 11, 2011

• Thanks for the Benadryl hint, even though he can swallow pills, the nurse at school recommended the liquid, so I bought a few bottles at Wal Mart today (cleaned them out!) to keep on hand. One at school, one for home, one for grandma's, one for a friend's house where he is all the time... I am pricing Epi-Pens online with the different pharmacies around. Right now, he is on Medicaid, but for something like this, I can borrow some money from my sister, or go hock something at the pawn shop (Ebay anyone?). He can now carry the one we have in his bookbag, until we get another on Monday at the latest (says the doctor). Thanks for the good advice!
    dwmom2008

Comment by dwmom2008 (original poster) at 3:36 PM on May. 11, 2011