Rabies Shots every 3 years

Has anyone stopped the yearly rabies shot? My vet told me that the rabies vaccine for the one year and the three year were the same except bottled differently!!! He said the manufacturers do that to satisfy the city ordinances that call for yearly shots. My city recently went to the three year requirement---it is much healthier for you dog. There is also the question of the other shots---has anyone read or heard about those and going to a three year schedule?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:36 PM on Dec. 5, 2008 in Pets

• I haven't heard of it? We have a yearly requirement that comes with a little tag and all that. I changed her collar and now can't find the one with her tags :-( I feel like a bad mommy.
    OneToughMami

Answer by OneToughMami at 4:07 PM on Dec. 5, 2008

• I heard about that, but the vet said to get the shots every year, so he gets all his shots at the same time around his birthday every year.
    Anonymous

• Yes. you get the first shot, and it lasts a year, every shot after that lasts 3 years.
    NewArrival

Answer by NewArrival at 4:55 PM on Dec. 5, 2008

• I have been reading about the rabies in particular. I appreciate the thoughts and views. We normally give our dogs their shots but because we had some other stuff come up, we didn't get down to get the medicine. So I took her in and asked the vet. That is when he told me about it being the same medicine with different labels. He gave her the shot and said he would write on her record that she is to get rabies every 3---if we bring her in:-) He respects our decision to give our own. I was just wondering if anyone else has gone to 3 years on the other shots. In one of Cesar Millan's books, he talks about this and it sounds like he feels the same towards shots. Thanks for the input:-)

Anonymous

• It is every 3 yrs. here in VA. So that is what I have done. My Vet feels the rabies is actually good for 5 yrs. We have done a lot of research together. I have always given my own shots, purchased from my vet at cost. I only give the puppy series and then titer them to see what they need once a year. Thank god I have a vet that believes like I do. I do not do yearly heart worm testing either. My vet and I decided to put my dogs on Ivermectin years ago. I give it every 3 months in the winter and every month for June, July and August(very hot months here). We started Ivermectin after my rescue pittie was highly allergic to the Mitaban dip for Demodex Mange.

pitbull4me

Answer by pitbull4me at 8:56 AM on Dec. 6, 2008

• Thanks so much. I have read that the rabies can last a lot longer--perhaps 10 years. I just hate the thought of giving my dog more meds than she needs.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:34 AM on Dec. 6, 2008

• i have our vet said the first year then after that 3 years
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:59 AM on Dec. 9, 2008

• I had never heard of it until we moved to the northern part of the state and when I took my cat and dog to the vets for their yearly visits the vet gave them the 3 year rabies shot. I was shocked and pleased that there was such a thing. It wasn't terribly expensive and I like that I don't have to pay for it every year.
    PrydferthMenyw

Answer by PrydferthMenyw at 10:30 AM on Dec. 22, 2008