For or against Socialized Healthcare?

Why?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:43 PM on Dec. 5, 2008 in Politics & Current Events

• Against. I do not want the government to take my money and then tell me where to go for health care and what is available to me. I would like to keep control of my own health and decisions.

Southerncharmes

Answer by Southerncharmes at 3:47 PM on Dec. 5, 2008

• Have you ever been on medicaid? I have! A necessary evil and it's AWFUL. They take forever, show you no respect, and by god you better be calling them first thing and able to sit by the phone for HOURS through busy signals to get your child in. Not to mention some of the 2nd rate dr's and crappy conditions you deal with. I can only imagine how god awful it would be if everyone was using the system!! I was off as soon as I could be!  I think it is an awful idea.  hey need to regulate the ins industry a little more and the prescription drug industry too!

momof030404

Answer by momof030404 at 3:50 PM on Dec. 5, 2008

• AGAINST!
    Have you ever seen the government get in control of anything it didn't subsequently FUBAR?
    Health care is in a miserable state right now, but the government would take the disaster it presently is, and make it a hundred times worse. I agree it doesn't seem like it could get that much worse, but trust me, the government would manage somehow!
    pagan_mama

Answer by pagan_mama at 3:57 PM on Dec. 5, 2008

• Against!! Do not in any way think socialized medicine would be good for this country.
    bonn777

Answer by bonn777 at 4:02 PM on Dec. 5, 2008

• I think it's a good for people who need health care. We have a good health care plan and can keep that. But I personally think everybody needs to have health care.
    It's not socialized medicine ,it's called Universal health care.
    Anonymous

• against!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    NathansmomEmmie

Answer by NathansmomEmmie at 4:11 PM on Dec. 5, 2008

• For. I've lived in other countries with socialized medicine, and they all have better health outcomes than we do while spending much less. The way that it is done in Canada is that each province manages their own system. In these countries, you can still get private health insurance from your employer that gives you added benefits (like private rooms in hospitals and quicker access to some specialists), so it is not as if everyone is locked into exactly the same experience. Regardless, you still get to choose your doctor, who gets to choose who to treat you according to her medical opinion, and you can choose your own pharmacy, and the hospital that you go to. My experience with socialized medicine showed me that there is no difference in the individual's experience of healthcare. By having a minimum level of healthcare for everyone in the country, we all benefit from decreased costs.
    evwsquared

Answer by evwsquared at 4:13 PM on Dec. 5, 2008

• Just to add, most people confuse the term "socialized medicine" with "socialism" when in fact the two have nothing to do with each other. Don't let that confusion scare you away from thinking about the actual content of the plan.
    evwsquared

Answer by evwsquared at 4:15 PM on Dec. 5, 2008

• The govenment is in control of Welfare and other social entitlements and they do a terrible job. We have great healthcare and should not have to pay more in taxes to get substandard care.
    Anonymous

• Against, because I am against anything socialist.
    Anonymous