Do you think this is fair?

We got 4 movies from Red Box and then an ef5 tornado hit us (I'm sure everyone heard about it) and we lost power everywhere, and even after the power was back on the Red Box was down. When the Red Box started working again, we returned the movies, and automatically it deducts the money owed, and it was fifty nine dollars because this went on for 2 weeks! I had already called them and a refund is processing, but it still automatically drew it out. Why? I have no idea. Stupid if you ask me, but he said that's just the way it is.
Now, my bank has charged me for overdrawing. I feel like the fee should be waived because it was not my fault, or in my control at all. Thoughts?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:31 AM on May. 11, 2011 in Money & Work

• I agree and would be pissed but what can you do??? That sucks and I would be pissed, have you talked to your bank? Maybe they will waive the overdraft fees if you explain.....can't hurt to ask GL
    buttonlts

Answer by buttonlts at 11:33 AM on May. 11, 2011

• You can call the bank, they usually will waive a fee like that if you havent had an overdraft in your recent past.
    ria7

Answer by ria7 at 11:33 AM on May. 11, 2011

• Yes the bank should waive the fee. Banks are usually pretty understanding about things like that. I can understand the machines automatically taking money owed... it is a machine afterall, and that's what it's programmed to do; same with banks. I would go to the bank and talk to them about it.
    ddemarco

Answer by ddemarco at 11:34 AM on May. 11, 2011

• I'd keep talking to the bank. There must be exceptions to natural disasters.
    meooma

Answer by meooma at 11:36 AM on May. 11, 2011

• Greed wants what it wants no matter the circumstances. They should wave the fees shame on them if they do not.
    pinkdragon36

Answer by pinkdragon36 at 11:37 AM on May. 11, 2011

• Unfortunately, the Red Box issue was automatic. The computer didn't know about the challenges after the tornados. :( Same with the bank computer. Hopefully staff at the bank understand and waive the fees because of the circumstance.

It's always harder to get through things like this when you've already dealt with a lot. Hope things are alright by you now.
    Nonoluna

Answer by Nonoluna at 11:38 AM on May. 11, 2011

• I'm waiting for the bank to call me back so I can try to get it fixed. I left a message for the person in charge, and the person I did talk to talked to me like I was an idiot and when she supposedly "transfered" my call over to the person in charge it hung up on me. So, I had to call back. Ugh, I hope they give me my money back. We lost a lot of groceries when our power was out and we need that money.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 11:43 AM on May. 11, 2011

• Maybe there was something stating they would take out what ever u owe them.. If u using debit card they have all ur info.. i had a company take a member ship charge out of my banking account with out me knowing.. The way they got my info was bc i had ordered a shirt from this company. but the member ship thing was thru another company affliated with that one.. i had it cancelled and the refund is in progress.
    1melmel1

Answer by 1melmel1 at 11:53 AM on May. 11, 2011

• If you talk very nicely and kindly to the person at the bank and explain the whole situation, I'm sure they will refund you the fees.
    slw123

Answer by slw123 at 3:33 PM on May. 11, 2011

• Well, I left a message and they never called back. Ugh.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 8:08 PM on May. 11, 2011