Are birthing classes good to take?

So me and my husband were thinking about taking birthing classes do they work?
Are they helpful because she thinks we should try them to prepare for our child?

momtobe522

Asked by momtobe522 at 11:36 AM on May. 11, 2011 in Pregnancy

• With my first child, I was VERY scared and nervous to go into labor and what everything would be like once the process started. I thought that the class helped ease my nerves a little. It gave suggestions on what your partner can help with, how to breathe, what you can expect with delivery, a c-section. I suggest taking it.
    LittleCsMommy

Answer by LittleCsMommy at 11:38 AM on May. 11, 2011

• I wanted to, but it was a case of finding time when me and DH were available, and most people said that you forget eveything from the classes anyway when in labour! Just make sure you listen to every word the mid wife says and you'll be great :)
    kylie_bob

Answer by kylie_bob at 11:38 AM on May. 11, 2011

• I took them with my first pregnancy. they make you think you're prepared and ease your mind but it all goes out the window when the labor starts and your figure it out as you go along. Only experience can prepare you for having a child. You'll do fine with our without the birthing class. However, I did find the hospital tour and breastfeeding class helpful.
    Mel_in_PHX

Answer by Mel_in_PHX at 11:41 AM on May. 11, 2011

• no they're not. they make it seem as if every birth is exactly the same, when in fact every single birth is different. my friend went to one. they told her she'd have pre labor contractions for up to 8 hours. she gave birth 5 hours after her very first contraction. i didn't go to a class but i was told that it was pointless to go to the hospital until i was in so much pain i couldn't speak. from first contraction to birth my contractions never got to more than an annoying tightening, no pain naturally. ALL labor is different
    momofone725

Answer by momofone725 at 11:42 AM on May. 11, 2011

• They should be taken so you can get ideas on what to expect and how to breathe. The more relaxed your breathing is and the more controlled you are the better things will go.
    wheresthewayout

Answer by wheresthewayout at 11:46 AM on May. 11, 2011

• Thanks yall
    momtobe522

Comment by momtobe522 (original poster) at 11:47 AM on May. 11, 2011

• You'd do better either taking a hypnobirthing or Brio birth class as opposed to a hospital birth class.

You also would be better off reading "Ina May's Guide to Childbirth" and watching every REAL labor video you can find. And by real, I mean nothing on some stupid tv show. I mean home videos of biirth...both in hospital and homebirths just to get a real look at what happens.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 11:48 AM on May. 11, 2011