"I will not respect those beliefs that have no merit, or are otherwise unworthy" (Spin off - quote from another CM'r)

And just who are you to judge what is worthy or has merit????? Hmmmm??

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:44 AM on May. 11, 2011 in Religious Debate

• One more time, too many people who don't know the difference between tolerance, politeness and respect.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 5:32 PM on May. 11, 2011

• Wow, who said that? That has to be the most ridiculous I've ever heard! Every religion, every belief, every path is valid for those who follow it and NO ONE has the right to choose what is and isn't worthy! Seriously, I am not a huge fan of violence, but it's statements like that that make me want to slap someone!

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 11:50 AM on May. 11, 2011

• I actually completely disagree with that quote (as I can tell you do, OP). Just because someone may not find value or merit in the beliefs of others does not mean that it is okay to disrespect those beliefs, since doing so is often understood as disrespecting the believers themselves, and each person should be given at least a basic level of respect and consideration. Comments like all believers are brainwashed or deluded or simply stretching for meaning behind what they can't understand (enter whatever insult for whatever faith or non faith you will here) are insulting on a personal level, and not just disrespectful to the beliefs themselves. The very fact that believers' have so much of their own personal identity defined and confined within their beliefs leaves very little room for disrespect for one without the other.
    bandgeek521

Answer by bandgeek521 at 11:51 AM on May. 11, 2011

• I feel like someone who is secure in their own beliefs and their own skin, would have absolutley no need to make a statement like that. It wouldn't even be an issue.
    Musicmom80

Answer by Musicmom80 at 11:48 AM on May. 11, 2011

• "EVERYONE has the right to judge what beliefs they PERSONALLY feel have merit or are worthy of respect, and EVERYONE has the right to agree or disagree with them" Eek a Geek

Doesn't mean you have the right to shove it in their faces or make mocking posts about them, over and over like it's gonna change something either.
    Musicmom80

Answer by Musicmom80 at 11:57 AM on May. 11, 2011

• You are using the religious text of your faith to back that your faith is the truth? That doesn't work, because I can tell you that other religious texts do the same. Is there evidence of your god? Possibly, although that evidence is subjective. Is there proof? No more than there is proof of mine. So, this standard of truth you are referring to can not possibly be applied to any faith that, yes, by definition is not based upon proof.
    KelleyP77

Answer by KelleyP77 at 12:29 PM on May. 11, 2011

• We all decide what has merit for us, and what is not worthy of our respect. No one is different in this.
    bishopblack

Answer by bishopblack at 11:45 AM on May. 11, 2011

• And just who are you to judge what is worthy or has merit????? Hmmmm??

If we use the Standard of Truth, and your belief doesn't meet the standard that is set by God, then I don't have to respect the worthiness of your beliefs, because God doesn't respect the worthiness of your belief.

The only thing that I must respect is your right to practice your belief - I don't have to respect the belief itself.

-Eilish-

Answer by -Eilish- at 11:51 AM on May. 11, 2011

• "Just because someone may not find value or merit in the beliefs of others does not mean that it is okay to disrespect those beliefs, since doing so is often understood as disrespecting the believers themselves, and each person should be given at least a basic level of respect and consideration."

Let me play Devil's Advocate here.

If I say "I believe that because Lot and his daughters were spared by God for being righteous, and Lot's daughters engaged in sexual relations with their father and bore children by him, that incestuous relations with children are sanctioned by God through scripture (see Genesis 19), and because of this I regularly engage in sexual relations with my children and encourage others to do so as often as possible," would you still feel the same way as above regarding respecting my beliefs?

There is a point at which respect is no longer warranted.
    bishopblack

Answer by bishopblack at 12:05 PM on May. 11, 2011

• If we use the Standard of Truth, and your belief doesn't meet the standard that is set by God, then I don't have to respect the worthiness of your beliefs, because God doesn't respect the worthiness of your belief.

I have to ask here...Standard of Truth in regards to faith? Faith, which by definition is a belief not based on proof? Which God? There are numerous gods throughout the numerous religions, and not one religion operates on anything other than faith. You may have your belief that only your faith is true, only your god is true, and only his standards are of value, but if we're going to use the Standard of Truth, none of us who have any kind of faith meet that standard.

KelleyP77

Answer by KelleyP77 at 12:14 PM on May. 11, 2011