What about those who haven't heard?

IF you believe someone must accept Jesus and be baptized in order to escape Hell, or damnation... What do you believe happens to those in countries where Christianity is minimal who may not have the chance to ever hear about Jesus or accept him before death? Do they just fall through the cracks? OR are they saved simply because they didn't have the option to know better?

I've always been curious about this...

Asked by SabrinaMBowen at 11:47 AM on May. 11, 2011 in Religion & Beliefs

• A lot of christians believe those folks will go to Hell with all of the NON believers. yep.

I had my crazy Baptist mom, who was talking to a Jewish lady, ask her is she believed in God as the savior. *SMH*....I was like, "Mom? Hello? They are the "Chosen" people. You know..in the bible?" *sigh*.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 11:50 AM on May. 11, 2011

• I've always wondered that, and I've asked several of my Christian friends. Their answer was always the same - we are judged by what we know, and if we've never known then we are 'taken up' with all the Christians. I'm NOT saying I agree with it just saying when I've asked that question what the answer was.

meooma

Answer by meooma at 11:52 AM on May. 11, 2011

• I grew us JW, and I used to ask them this a lot. And I always got the same answer. Now, they don't believe in Hell or anything, but they do believe that those who do not die prior to the "Great Tribulation" and have not followed their path will not be able to live in Paradise. When ever I ask them this I am always told there won't be anyone on earth who hasn't had the chance to hear. And those who die before this time will all be raised and allowed to enter Paradise regardless of their beliefs.

Comment by SabrinaMBowen (original poster) at 11:54 AM on May. 11, 2011

• I've seen it argued that those who "don't know better" can't be at fault for not accepting someone they never knew about. It makes me think of that saying, with the Eskimo, where he asks "well, why did you tell me, then?"....

Of course, you know where I stand on the idea of hell or "savlation", etc.....
    bandgeek521

Answer by bandgeek521 at 11:55 AM on May. 11, 2011

• I personally think they will go to Heaven. They cant be held accountable for something they have never heard.
    nandbsmom

Answer by nandbsmom at 11:58 AM on May. 11, 2011

• There is scripture in the Bible somewhere that states, God will make himself known to them.
    Tribal people tend to create Gods, and figure heads, and have ideas of some sort of God.
    Even Heller Keller states she knew who he was, she just didn't know his name-upon first learning of Jesus.
    How do we know until someone like Keller makes that known to us. Or unless we experience it for ourselves.
    Since the beginning of time, mankind to some degree and to some percentage has looked to the sky for a superior being.
    jewjewbee

Answer by jewjewbee at 12:05 PM on May. 11, 2011

• When they are not given a choice, they are given a pass
    adnilm

Answer by adnilm at 12:07 PM on May. 11, 2011

• http://www.letusreason.org/Current56.htm

i  only read half, pretty interesting i think

jewjewbee

Answer by jewjewbee at 12:10 PM on May. 11, 2011

• My religion teaches that they will be taught in the afterlife and that EVERYONE gets a choice to hear and accept the gospel.
    lauralivivy

Answer by lauralivivy at 12:35 PM on May. 11, 2011

• Different denominations believe different things about who is saved: whether you're always saved once saved, whether Non-Christians can be saved, whether beliefs or good works are most important, etc. I've found that the more conservative the teachings, the more they emphasize faith and believe others are not going to be saved. Mainline/moderate and liberal denominations seem to emphasize people's actions (sometimes in addition to belief) and sometimes believe that Non-Christians can be saved (or in some cases they're universalists).

Verses I've seen used to argue that Non-Christians will be saved (or at least that different people will be judged by different standards) are: John 9:39-41; Romans 2:12-16; Luke 10:25-28; 1 John 4: 7-12; Matthew 5:43-46; Matthew 25:31-46; John 5:25-29; John 12:28-32; 1 Timothy 4:10; and Revelation 20:11-15.
    pam19

Answer by pam19 at 12:37 PM on May. 11, 2011