Funny conversation with my 6 year old while she watched Glee with me. (What do you kids say that crack you up?)

This is our conversation while Finn and Rachel are discussing Prom:

Her: "I love Finn. *dreamy sigh* Can I kiss him?"

Me: "No."

Her: "Awww why can't I go in the tv and kiss him?"

Me:"You're too young."

Her: "But I want to kiss him. If Daddy says it's alright you have to let me."

Me: "Daddy will say you can't either."

Her: "But WHY?!"

Octobersmom

Asked by Octobersmom at 11:56 AM on May. 11, 2011 in Entertainment

• Lol sounds like my daughter about Justin Bieber...she wants to marry him so bad lol she'll be 6 on July
    kyheavensmom

Answer by kyheavensmom at 12:06 PM on May. 11, 2011

• My 6 year old has a crush on Beiber too. She giggles when she says his name and gets pink. She also got giggly and pink over the Jonas Brothers.

We don't let her watch Glee though. I am a fully admitted Gleek. ;) But, I think it has too many adult themes and situations for my 6 year old to handle. She listens to the music on the iPod and the CD player but doesn't watch the show. That said, to each their own. I'm sure there are things my kids watch that would have others dropping their jaws. LOL!
    Anonymous

• OP, I'd like to "like" your response. LOL! Too bad we can't.

I agree, we all have our own boundaries.

My kids (ages 6 1/2 and almost 9) like to watch Adventure Time which is chock full of the series's "heroes" fighting monsters, weird creatures and befriending the friendly neighborhood vampire. I would totally understand someone not finding it an acceptable program for their children. For us? It's fine. The kids understand what is real and what is not. They understand what behaviors are ok and what are not. But, like I said, I understand other households would rule that one off the TV.
    Anonymous

• Aaaw! She sounds adorable!
    kylie_bob

Answer by kylie_bob at 12:00 PM on May. 11, 2011

• @ kyheavensmom you're lucky Beiber is a teenager, Cory Monteith is only 3 years younger than me (he's 29). I dread this child's teen years LOL
    Octobersmom

Comment by Octobersmom (original poster) at 12:10 PM on May. 11, 2011

• @ Musicmom80 LMAO there is absolutely nothing wrong with Glee. She likes it because it's a musical so there is a ton of singing and dancing. Should I put blinders on her and only let her look at other kids? I had crushes at her age and one of them (I'm embarrassed to admit this now) was Ponch from CHiPs. He was a grown man. Seriously, she has had crushes on Steve and Joe from Blue's Clues too, is that show too grown up for her as well?
    Octobersmom

Comment by Octobersmom (original poster) at 12:19 PM on May. 11, 2011

• @ Musicmom80 Seriously, I had my first crush, that I remember, at age 5. I think you are living in a fantasy world.
    Octobersmom

Comment by Octobersmom (original poster) at 12:22 PM on May. 11, 2011

• @ Musicmom80 eye rolling

Octobersmom

Comment by Octobersmom (original poster) at 12:27 PM on May. 11, 2011

• @ Anon - I do understand that some people would have issues with Glee, my husband and I don't. The concept of sex is everywhere. I remember being 8 years old and watching Different Strokes with my mom. This was in the 80's when things were supposedly so much cleaner. Anyway, Willis was telling the dad that he had to let Arnold have a co-ed sleep over or else he'd need to explain the birds and bees to him. My mom used that as her chance to explain sex to me. I think 8 is too young for the whole sex talk but, for us, we think it is fine for our daughter to know that babies come from a man and a woman who start with kissing.
    Violence/gore is our big tv/movie no-no with her. I mean to the point that I edit the Harry Potter movies if she asks to watch them.
    Octobersmom

Comment by Octobersmom (original poster) at 1:23 PM on May. 11, 2011

• LOL yes, the thumbs up and down would be nice on OP replies.

We don't think it is wrong to let kids watch violent shows etc but they scare our daughter. She knows it's pretend but it still bothers her. Heck, she has asked me to turn off Scooby Doo, Strawberry Shortcake, Rainbow Bright and the Carebears because the bad guys were winning at the time and it was too scary for her.
    Every child and every family is different.
    Octobersmom

Comment by Octobersmom (original poster) at 1:36 PM on May. 11, 2011