Ants in my house! Help!

Are there any non toxic ways to get rid of them?? I have NO idea where they are coming from but I don't want to use anything toxic because I have two small children and I am pregnant. Any great ideas out there? Please tell!

MamaTL

Asked by MamaTL at 12:09 PM on May. 11, 2011 in Home & Garden

• get pest control out
    momtobe522

Answer by momtobe522 at 12:13 PM on May. 11, 2011

• Trace the trail to opening where they are emerging. Stuff whole bay leaves around that area . . they hate them.

Vacuum up the ants, and wipe the trail with distilled white vinegar. Before you go to bed, vaccuum all surfaces, and wipe with vinegar. It erases the trail smell, and they don't like the vinegar.

if you can find where they are coming in from the outside, have someone else spray their outside entrance with bug spray, so they won't pass. That keeps the poisons outdoor and away from you and kids.

This has always worked for me. It may take two nights of the vinegar cleaning, but it works.
    ImaginationMama

Answer by ImaginationMama at 12:16 PM on May. 11, 2011

• I am having a very hard time finding the trail of my ants as well. I think that I will wipe my counters with vinegar and give that a try.
    coala

Answer by coala at 12:45 PM on May. 11, 2011

• I have the same problem. I will be trying the vinegear tonight.
    alliesmom112

Answer by alliesmom112 at 3:26 PM on May. 11, 2011

• I heard cinnamon, but I may not be correct
    Ashlynnsmommy07

Answer by Ashlynnsmommy07 at 5:37 PM on May. 11, 2011

• Equal parts flour, sugar, and Borax, with enough Crisco mixed in to make it in to a paste. Ball up the paste in cut up egg carton cups and put it in the corners where no one can reach. It will work on different kinds of ants, because some go for starch, fats, or sugars. This will kill them all off in a couple of days, including the nest since they take it back home.
    JulieJacobKyle

Answer by JulieJacobKyle at 5:38 PM on May. 11, 2011

• Ortho Home Defense Max...a very concentrated formula...$23.00 at Home Depot and def worth the investment...works inside and outside the home. I even use it my fireplace. I recommend you do the inside of the house first, then do the outside perimeters of the house. Also, check the outside of your home and see if there are any openings in the bricks or wood where they may be coming in and spray those areas too. (REMEMBER: ALWAYS DO THE INSIDE FIRST) but you have to do the outside or its like beating a dead horse, trust me I learned the hard way.
    Mommiie_of_4

Answer by Mommiie_of_4 at 6:09 PM on May. 11, 2011

• I tried cleaning till I nearly cried. They most likely have a nest in your house. I finally went out and bought TERRO liquid ant baits. It's mainly syrup with 5% Borax. I will admit, it was gross at first to see how many ants flocked to that thing. I got the ones that are prefilled and all I had to do was cut it open and put it down. I put it down where my toddler couldn't reach. I put it out Saturday and I am impressed. It's been 36 hours since I have seen an ant. I have tried all the cinnamon, vinegar etc and none of it worked. TERRO is the ONLY thing I will be recommended from now on.
    layh41407

Answer by layh41407 at 8:43 PM on May. 11, 2011

• There is a spray called Bugs R Gone that is a non toxic spray. Also make sure you have all the entry points sealed off so the ants can't get in.
    cleanaturalady

Answer by cleanaturalady at 9:29 PM on May. 11, 2011

• Cucumber peels, cinnamon.
    KTMOM

Answer by KTMOM at 9:30 PM on May. 11, 2011