Is it normal for five and six year old girls to have "crushes" on grown men and "want to kiss them"?

Not talking about one man, like multiple men. I'm just curious. Am I alone in my thinking?? Is it normal for little girls aged 6, to be interested in kissing grown men.
Is it appropriate? Or do you think it's a result of our media? Do little girls even understand it?

Musicmom80

Asked by Musicmom80 at 12:26 PM on May. 11, 2011 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• I think its normal to have crushes on older men at that age. I think television and movies and music have played huge roles in moving from just crushes to thinking about kissing.

meooma

Answer by meooma at 12:35 PM on May. 11, 2011

• When I was that age I was in love with movie stars who were "grown men". I didn't really scream it to the world though. It's just something that is normal. I didn't grow up over sexualized or anything, it's just an innocent crush.
    Bugzmomma

Answer by Bugzmomma at 12:28 PM on May. 11, 2011

• When I was younger, I had always said that I was going to marry my dad, He was my best friend when I was young. I went everywhere with him, did everything with him. from fishing to working on cars. I think it is normal for girls to think about things like this. I have tons of nieces and have heard several of them talking about who they love and who they are going to marry when they grow up. I am also a girl scout leader and I had one of my young ladies thats only 8 say to me just on Monday that she was going to marry John Trevolta until she found out he had a wig. Too Funny!
    IT IS ALL NORMAL BEHAVIOR!
    hodgkinrus6

Answer by hodgkinrus6 at 12:42 PM on May. 11, 2011

• I think it's pretty normal for them to have a crush or two but not appropriate for them to act on it.

skittles1108

Answer by skittles1108 at 12:28 PM on May. 11, 2011

• People they know... no.

Prince Charming in a movie.... yes.
    Anonymous

• I don't think that they should know about and wanting to kiss grown men. My best friend's DD's both had crushes on my SO when they were that little and have since outgrown it as well as my cousin. All of these girls are under 12 currently. All 3 of them wanted to grow up and marry him. I thought it was cute, but they have moved on.
    coala

Answer by coala at 12:28 PM on May. 11, 2011

• Electra Complex. Yes, it is on the spectrum of normal. As she gets a little older, she will switch to her own age group. It is also normal for them to start saying that they are going to marry their brothers. Funny stage.

Just give her a reality check.

ImaginationMama

Answer by ImaginationMama at 12:28 PM on May. 11, 2011

• When I was 6 I know I had crushes on "grown men" that I seen on TV or in movies...it wasnt a big deal...I think that as long as you don't make it into a big deal it wont be =)
    Lucky209

Answer by Lucky209 at 12:29 PM on May. 11, 2011

• WTF is wrong with you lady? Leave my kid alone! She is perfectly normal! Yes she knows about kissing. My husband and I kiss in front of her and she watches Disney movies and read fairy-tales that all include kissing! So, she has crushes on men on tv, so what?! She KNOWS that she is not allowed to kiss boys or men (aside from cheek kisses to her daddy, grandfathers and uncles)! GET A LIFE!

This is my question that prompted this: http://www.cafemom.com/answers/837132/Funny_conversation_with_my_6_year_old_while_she_watched_Glee_with_me_What_do_you_kids_say_that_crack

Octobersmom

Answer by Octobersmom at 12:33 PM on May. 11, 2011

• My kids don't watch any adult shows. Only on-demand small kids stuff. My 5 year old still goes there .. about marrying and crushes. We don't go to the movies, and we don't show any affection but a quick kiss hello and goodbye in front of her.

She is talking about Justin Beiber . . we have never played him or seen him, but girls at her preschool talk about him every day. They love Justin Beiber.

??

It is part of whole process. I remember having crushes at age 5, and I was very sheltered.

I think that we should be more worried about the kids who are hitting, stealing, or performing poorly at school, because there is an actual problem there.
    ImaginationMama

Answer by ImaginationMama at 12:46 PM on May. 11, 2011