Sleeping and eating patterns?

I was told by my babies doctor that she can't go more than 4 hours without eating and she is now a month old but by the time I feed her and get her to calm down its hours later and she will sleep for 4 to 5 hours at a time. How do I get her on a certain schedule so her sleeping and eating is where its supposed to be? I am a first time mom so this is all new to me. She doesn't sleep much either like she used to. She's fussier than ever and its getting to the point where I feel I have no time to get things done around the house etc..Could she possibly be colic and what can I do to help this situation? Please help me!

hotlilmomma08

Asked by hotlilmomma08 at 3:57 PM on Dec. 5, 2008 in Babies (0-12 months)

• yea its colic sorry and it sucks the quicker you accept it the easier it will be my son was a perfect baby for two weeks then he turned into a monster for 6 m. I put him on Zantac (best drug ever) have you tried to feed her wile she is sleeping. I't worked on my son and i even got an extra hour sleep out of him. now everyone under the sun is going to start saying change her formula. Unless she has a rash, diarea and a bad diper rash and is pucking a lot. Don't bother wasting your time and money.

------continued on next post-------
    KittyCalais

Answer by KittyCalais at 4:15 PM on Dec. 5, 2008

• I know its hard and your so tired and I know your sad because you have no time to even shower and your house is a mess and you feel like you are the world worst mom! Well we all feel like that. and there is nothing that you can do to make it easier. I promas you in a few weeks your body will adapt to no sleep. It will shock you how much you can do on 2 hours of sleep. and you will get faster and better at everything. Untill then caffeine pills, redbull and coffee. Good luck.
    KittyCalais

• lol its not necessarily colic....please don't scare yourself. If shes screaming for hours on end and NOTHING will calm her then it might be but if she just fussy when you put her down its very normal. It took me a while to get used to it but trust me you will! My son was the same way with the sleeping and eating so I would feed him, keep him awake and wait for him to get tired then feed him again which normally put him to sleep. If your doctor didnt say every 4 hours due to health reasons it is okay to let her sleep. Mine said the same thing in the beginning but I was not about to wake him up after taking so long trying to get him to sleep! I let him sleep and when he was hungry he would wake up and tell me so! I wouldnt however let him go more than 6 hours without eating until he was 2 months.
    jessicarae787

Answer by jessicarae787 at 4:40 PM on Dec. 5, 2008

• Could be because of many things. What formula are you using, if you aren't breast feeding? And if you have changed formulas that affects their little sensitive system. My son was like that because of sensitive digestive system and thrush. Had him on nutramigen for 5-6 weeks after I dried up, then began to introduce soy into that formula. Then once the soy went over well we began mixing milk based formula in it. And he is fine now. I didn't think he was ever going to be on a schedule and some day when he started feeling much better the schedule started. Then one day he started sleeping more than 4 hours at night between feedings. And he is only 16 weeks old. Seems hard to get through but then looking back, it was a short hard time.
    MissHeidi0304

Answer by MissHeidi0304 at 6:48 PM on Dec. 5, 2008