How can I turn my mind off and just relax?

I've been through a lot lately and although there is nothing I can do to change the events or solve any problems, I still can not turn my mind off. Usually I'm a thinker and I'll analyze and problem solve until I'm sick to my stomach and unable to eat or sleep. This time I refuse to do that. I'm doing pretty well but I can feel it creeping in. I just need some tips on how to turn that part of my mind off. I wouldn't usually ask but there is just absolutely nothing I can do to change anything and I don't need to change anything either but that doesn't keep my mind from wanting to and it doesn't keep my mind from going to the default "obsess over it until I figure it out" mode. Thanks in advance for any advice I may receive!
-Leah

miller060809

Asked by miller060809 at 12:43 PM on May. 11, 2011 in Relationships

• Look I know how you feel. I'm going through the exact same thing. My dad is really ill right now, and I can't stop thinking about him. What do I do to take my mind off of family issues? I try to stay busy reading, jogging with my dog, work, go to the gym, outing with friends and family for lunch.
    ambr2006

Answer by ambr2006 at 12:47 PM on May. 11, 2011

• have you sat down and just started writting any and everything that comes up ,
    i know how this is , its horrid , time passing i guess
    letstalk747

Answer by letstalk747 at 12:48 PM on May. 11, 2011

• doing maybe yoga or read
    diana398

Answer by diana398 at 12:52 PM on May. 11, 2011

• I'm not sure as I have the same problem - So, if I ever figure it out, I'll let ya know
    MrsDAP

Answer by MrsDAP at 1:00 PM on May. 11, 2011

• Walking with my mp3 player helps me relax when I get like this.
    KyliesMom5

Answer by KyliesMom5 at 1:01 PM on May. 11, 2011

• And that, my friend, is why God invented weed.
    Anonymous

• LOL, I got the weed covered but unfortunately that doesn't cover the whole day/night :P
    -Leah
    miller060809

Comment by miller060809 (original poster) at 1:25 PM on May. 11, 2011

• Oh man. You just described my current situation to a T. Wish I had the answer. Best I know do to is either distract myself or sit and repeat in my head things like "Whatever. I don't care. F it. It doesn't matter..." etc. I repeat things like that to block out the racing thoughts and anxiety until my head clears a bit. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't. But I know exactly how you feel.
    Anonymous

• And to the person who suggested weed...that actually makes it worse for me.
    Anonymous

• I am the same way.... i just write till i cant write anymore. But I still need to find something else and my SO agreees.
    emerald2

Answer by emerald2 at 2:13 PM on May. 11, 2011