Recently diagnosed with PTSD

Wondering if anyone else has been diagnosed and been through treatment?? I am not a solider nor have I been to war...As a child I was sexually abuse and recently over the past 2 years Ive started having problems with stress and anxiety and many other things...nightmares of the incidents, etc....Well my counselor has told me that children who do not receive treatment after the traumatic event can develop PTSD as adults..I had no idea, I always thought PTSD was something that happened to military (I know naive and stupid) ..But knowing that this is the cause of my problems im wondering what expectations I should have with this treatment...will it possibly help resolve my stress and anxiety or will I always have it?? I dont want to be on medication ( I was on it before and it made me feel like a zombie). I want to work through it with counseling..which is something I have been avoiding for a very long time but im glad I have taken the steps to start and im already starting to see a change

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:47 PM on May. 11, 2011 in Relationships

• My sister was diagnosed with this after our Dad committed Suicide in 2009. My sister was visiting our parents when it happened but did not actually see it happen or him afterwards. I don't have experience with this myself but I will say if you stick with therepy and work on whatever your therapist recommends it will help. My sister still has good and bad days but she has come a long way. It has not been an easy road for any of us frankly but it has also helped that we have been able to lean on each other.
    KyliesMom5

Answer by KyliesMom5 at 12:57 PM on May. 11, 2011

• yeah , same reason , i have had years of therapy- one on one and group , it helps , you will go thru many phases and feelings , in a nutshell i will say to you ------

its always there lesser as time passes and you process all this to the point of understanding , accepting , forgiving- your abuser and yourself in some ways , finding selfhood to the point where you can separate from all this- it can be a long road the rest of your life , what im saying here may not make sence to you now but it will later if you stick with getting help.

Expect some major exhaustion dealing with this- but its worth it , maybe some feelings of your talking about someone else not you- this is common and gets easier , keep going no matter how hard it gets.
    letstalk747

Answer by letstalk747 at 1:03 PM on May. 11, 2011

• I have had PTSD since the incident, when I was three. I witnessed my mothers murder. I suggest counseling if it is having a negative effect on your life. Counseling helped lessen some symptoms, like the nightmares of the event. It helped cure other symptoms, like the panic attacks. I still have some symptoms. I can't sleep in a room unless the door is locked and I have a second escape route (ie. Window) and I can't watch scary movies (that makes me have the nightmare). More important than the symptoms is the actual dealing with the event. Counseling helped with that sooo much! I still feel as if I'm different from other people, but I'm ok with that. It has made me the strong, successful woman I am today, and I think my mother would be proud of that.
    Ms.Gwen

Answer by Ms.Gwen at 2:54 PM on May. 11, 2011