What is the best way to ride a bike with a toddler?

My daughter is 20 mos old. Her 4 yo brother likes to ride bikes now and we'd like to go as a family. Which is better - a rear child seat, a front child seat, or a trailer??

LuvAt1stSight

Asked by LuvAt1stSight at 12:49 PM on May. 11, 2011 in Diet & Fitness

• You should definitely still use a helmet in a trailer. I don't know about the law, but just from a safety standpoint...

My son was LIVID about the helmet, but once we got a block or 2 he realized what great fun it was to ride in the bike trailer and he stopped screaming. We ride pretty much every day and now he often just wears his helmet while playing around the house. LOL!
    misses_nick

Answer by misses_nick at 10:33 AM on May. 12, 2011

• We have a trailer and enjoy it but we what route so we can pull two of the littler ones.
    Melbornj

Answer by Melbornj at 12:55 PM on May. 11, 2011

• My husband has a front child seat on his bike for when we take our little one. But she's only 10 months - I can't wait until she's old enough for the trailer - much easier! My 2 yo loves the trailer and will sit in there for as long as we want to ride, we have a double one so when she turns a year old we can put both of them in it.

Answer by missanc at 1:33 PM on May. 11, 2011

• we had a rear child seat and worked great...we love to do bike rides as a family. All mine are now old enough to ride their own bikes. Only thing I didn't like about the rear seat was we had to strap their feet down to prevent them from kicking us...it bothered me more than it did them, they didn't seem to care a bit, they just loved to ride.
    sdks2011

Answer by sdks2011 at 12:52 PM on May. 11, 2011

• I like the trailer best because I don't feel like my little is crammed right up my rear end while we ride. The one drawback to the trailer is that if it's a windy day and you are riding against the wind it creates serious drag. Riding in a lower gear can help, but it's a good workout.
    misses_nick

Answer by misses_nick at 3:01 PM on May. 11, 2011

• I used a trailer last time we were at the beach. You can carry more than one kid (or her toys). I hadn't ridden a bike in years, so I was a little too wobbly to trust having her in a seat.
    anng.atlanta

Answer by anng.atlanta at 3:03 PM on May. 11, 2011

• I'm going with a trailer myself.....My daughter won't wear anything on her head for longer than 1 second, there is no way i'm going to get her to wear a helmet. I'm hoping they aren't required for trailers....if they are, then I don't know what i'll do, lol
    Mom2Jack04

Answer by Mom2Jack04 at 5:44 PM on May. 11, 2011