Why is it that the majority of people who are against meds are the ones who don't have a mental illness?

I'm bipolar...I've been dealing with this my entire life and I will continue to deal with it until the day I die.

ALOT of the people that I've met (real life, not CM) have been SO passionatly against medication that when they found out that this is how I'm controlling my illness they have actually YELLED at me about how medication doesnt work, how I'm poisoning my body, how diet and lifestyle change are the best ways to control my disorder....some have even gone as far as telling me that there is no such thing as bipolar disorder and it's just something people say to have a license to act like an ass...oh yes...I've actually gotten this comment.

As I talk to these people it becomes very clear that they all have something very critical in common...none of them have a mental illness or actually knows anyone who does...why are these people so impassioned about something they know nothing about???

Lucky209

Asked by Lucky209 at 12:51 PM on May. 11, 2011 in Health

• that's just like the people who give the "best" parenting advice are people with NO KIDS! i'm sorry you're getting so much shit from people who don't even have the first clue about your illness. what about people with high cholesterol or high blood pressure that can't get it to come down naturally? should they just walk around on the verge of stroke/heart attack because medicine will "poison" them. personally, i like to do things the natural way first. BUT, if it's to the point i can't handle it on my own is when i seek professional help for it. i suffer anxiety/panic disorder with no meds but ive learned techniques that get me through the situations that heighten my anxiety. if ever it affects my daily life i will get put on medicine.
    tnm786

Answer by tnm786 at 12:56 PM on May. 11, 2011

• All I can think of is that it's hard to think clearly when one's head is up one's ass.
    Dr.Donna

Answer by Dr.Donna at 12:55 PM on May. 11, 2011

• I'm in the same boat as you- I keep running across people, both in my family and just in day-to-day life, that are against meds, but are not suffering from a mental illness. I have major depressive disorder, OCD, severe anxiety disorder, and a sensory disorder, and before I got on meds, I was in a downward spiral and afraid of where I was going to land. Luckily I have a doctor that is willing to listen, and I've been on several meds before finding the right one for me. I've heard everything from, "Mind over matter!" to "You can control how you feel- just be happy!" to "This is just an excuse because you don't want to do x, y or z, and you don't need any medicine for being lazy." I know what is helping me, and I definitely know what is not helpful at all(all those criticizing, scathing remarks!).
    lovingmy4babies

Answer by lovingmy4babies at 1:10 PM on May. 11, 2011

• I must admit, I am one of those who, for the most part, feel strongly that most medication is a not just a waste of money, but does more harm than good.

BUT, for bipolar disorder, medication can help. You know what your meds do for you. Don't let outspoken, ignorant people bring you down. Some people can manage their condition without medication - good for them. But I've seen first hand what happens when the condition isn't managed...not good. Do what works for you. GL :-)
    ss_mom

Answer by ss_mom at 1:14 PM on May. 11, 2011

• i dont really like medication myself because my aunt overdosed and my mama tried to but if the medication u are taking was subscribed to u, ur taking the right dosage, and its helping then they all need to shut their mouths. thats what medication is there for. its to HELP ppl. just ignore all the idiots and do what do.
    wootens91

Answer by wootens91 at 1:17 PM on May. 11, 2011

• I'm not a fan of medication & i do think it gets over prescribed.

BUT, i will never deny the necessity for it in some people. My family has a history of mental illness & medication has really helped. One of my family members was on it for a long time, weened himself off of it & is doing OK now. But.. he really needed it at one point. He also stays regular with his psychologist. He now knows & can recognize if he is "having an episode" or beginning to. Then he gets back on the meds.

They work for some people, but not all. It took him years to find one that worked well for him. That is the hardest part...finding meds that works well for you. Everyone is so different.

BUT, like Sabrina said....i have also known people to be the exact opposite & bash those who are against medication. It totally goes both ways.

When it comes to things like schizophrenia, medication can be very helpful.
    samurai_chica

Answer by samurai_chica at 1:15 PM on May. 12, 2011

• I'm bipolar too and I'm completely against meds. I don't feel like you should have to take a pill every day for the rest of your life. Just learn to deal with it. I have and am happier then I have been in a long time. I took Zoloft and a couple other drugs for a long period of time and my body became dependent on it. I quit taking them and at first I was worse then when I started taking them. I think it's just a way for pharmacies to make money on you because you have to buy them to make you "normal". It's all bull.
    Eisleysmommy27

Answer by Eisleysmommy27 at 12:56 PM on May. 11, 2011

• How insulting! It is good I wasn't around, I would have given them an earful!

People like to feel like they have more control over life than they do. When other people have accidents, they say,"That won't happen to me because I am a safe driver." when someone is attacked, they say, "I'll never be attacked because I am aware of my surroundings." when someone gets cancer, they say, "I'll never get cancer because I take my vitamins."

It is all to booster a false sense of control.

It is quite sad, actually, because people with that sort of mindset actually do the worst when hit with problems or tragedy.

Next time someone says that to you, just think to yourself how sad it is that they are so unrealistic and unprepared . . . hope that they can stay in their bubble.
    ImaginationMama

Answer by ImaginationMama at 12:58 PM on May. 11, 2011

• You know, it's funny. You are on medication and you run in to the bashers who think you shouldn't be. I don't believe in medication and I've had people tell me I don't deserve my children solely because I don't... In fact I had someone tell me "Anyone with a mental diagnosis should be forced to take medication legally. Not to do so puts everyone in danger." Which had to be one of the most ridiculous things I've ever heard in my life!

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 1:04 PM on May. 11, 2011

• I think a lot of it has to do with lack of personal knowledge on the disorder and the medication. I have never been totally against medication but I try to avoid it as much as I can...admitting that help is needed is hard , especially when that help is wrapped up in a pill.My son suffered through almost 11 years having ADHD without being medicated, I refused to go that route. I can honeslty say I tried every other option before we went with the med.Finally..at my wits end..at a loss for what to do next...I agreed to let him be put on Adderall.XR. The change in him is amazing,his confidence has shot up because he can now focus on things he could never focus on before, he's making progress with school with friends..with everything.
    If someone TRULY has the right diagnosis and the right med is prescribed..it can work for some people.
    kimberlyinberea

Answer by kimberlyinberea at 1:07 PM on May. 11, 2011