What's the best way to get my 5-year old to tie her shoes? She can explain how, but won't do it herself!!!!

queenbea

Asked by queenbea at 12:52 PM on May. 11, 2011 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• Have the same problem so here is a bump for you
    Alisim

Answer by Alisim at 1:14 PM on May. 11, 2011

• Is it that she can't or she won't?

1. Tying shoes requires the development of fine motor skills. Let her build those hand muscles by using toys like legos, beading necklaces, play-doh, etc.
    2. Let her practice tying something OTHER than her shoe. Let her do your shoe, a book that teachers lacing and tying, something like that. Sometimes kids need to master the skill and confidence through something off their own foot.
    3. If she *can* do it and won't, then make it a game. Have a race to see if she can tie her shoe before you tie the other -- take your time, remember she'll be slower because the skill is new.
    4. If she can but won't make a reward chart - sticker for each time she does her own shoes and after so many stickers a reward you can agree upon - maybe it's a special meal, trip to a park, etc.
    ldmrmom

Answer by ldmrmom at 1:26 PM on May. 11, 2011

• Not all 5-year-olds CAN tie their shoes. Some simply don't yet have the motor control to make it work. My son couldn't do it until he was almost 7, and I was 7 or 8 before I was able to as a child.
    DDDaysh

Answer by DDDaysh at 1:44 PM on May. 11, 2011

• She may be able to SAY how ut that doesn't mean she can make her fingers do it. That's a pretty intense fine motor skill esp. in todays day and age when MOST shoes are velcro.

I'd go with above poster. Before you decide she doesn't want to do... that someones actually SEEN her do it. And in the mean time... a book, fine motor practice etc.etc.
    MamiJaAyla

Answer by MamiJaAyla at 11:37 PM on May. 14, 2011