Pale face and Dark Circles Under the Eyes

When my 7 year old daughter came home from school she have pale face and Dark Circles Under the Eyes. yesterday she sleep most of the time when she got home went to sleep for 8 hours i was going to wake her up i said maybe she getting sick just need the rest. i thought she would not go back to bed and she did she was out she selp like a babies. it look like she might need some sunlight but here in Florida be so hot

Thank you
Tammy

piglet91

Asked by piglet91 at 1:00 PM on May. 11, 2011 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• It could be allergies.... My friends kids look like raccoons due to allergies.
    SAHMinIL2

Answer by SAHMinIL2 at 1:03 PM on May. 11, 2011

• SHe could be iron deficient, I know it makes you tired and pale. Also allergies.
    minimo77

Answer by minimo77 at 1:27 PM on May. 11, 2011

• Could be allergies, iron deficiency, or a candida (yeast) overgrowth problem.
    Anonymous

• I don't think she have that because i use to have it for most of my life. she eating good she get enough iron.

Thanks
    Tammy
    piglet91

Comment by piglet91 (original poster) at 1:52 PM on May. 11, 2011

• Couldnt hurt to get her blood checked though. Iron deficiency is alot more common in kids that people think..and if you had it, well of course she could, but from what you mentioned, her being pale, sleeping alot...
    minimo77

Answer by minimo77 at 1:57 PM on May. 11, 2011

• pale skin, dark circles, and tiredness sounds like anemia, allergies or she's getting sick. I would not assume those specific symptoms, especially if she's sleeping simply means she needs sun. If the symptoms persist, I'd have her see the doctor to be sure there's not something going on that needs to be treated.

Don't assume that she's not anemic because she's getting enough iron. Getting iron and absorbing iron are two different things. My father eats enough iron rich foods to not have a problem, however, he also has Chron's disease and during flare ups he can become dangerously anemic no matter how much iron he consumes or takes in supplements. Also, don't assume it's not the onset of allergies. They can crop up at any time no matter what you've experienced (or she has) in the past. I didn't have seasonal allergies until I was a young adult. Now? ugh. forget it.
    ldmrmom

Answer by ldmrmom at 2:00 PM on May. 11, 2011

• I absolutely agree with these other moms. And the fact that YOU had this most of your life would make me even more suspicious that allergies or anemia could be the problem. Those things are often passed on genetically!
    misses_nick

Answer by misses_nick at 2:54 PM on May. 11, 2011

• I grew up pale with dark circles and then everything evened out around 16, turned out it was just my genes and now I'm noticing my son is really pale and has circles around his eyes.
    wheresthewayout

Answer by wheresthewayout at 5:50 PM on May. 11, 2011

•  She may be having a big growth spurt. My 5 year old has had 2 big spurts in which he had similar symtoms.

How about dehydration? It can show itself in funny ways sometimes. 

Ihatelaundry

Answer by Ihatelaundry at 5:54 PM on May. 11, 2011

• I am pale and have dark circles. At times I was low in iron and lived with anemia. But I also had allergies which became worse as I grew older. When I am about to get sick I generally do sleep way more, very fatigued and get very dark circles. But the only way to really know is to have some good old lab work done. Not just iron but other issues could be at work. And of course we can always have more than one thing at a time. :(. Which sucks because that is usually the case. When we have one thing tgere are usually comorbid comon issues. Talk to her doctor and let her know your concerns.
    frogdawg

Answer by frogdawg at 11:41 PM on May. 11, 2011