Do you agree with these Police Officers on a White House Decision?

The invitation of rapper Common to the White House this week is drawing the ire of the union representing New Jersey state police.

While even casual hip-hop fans wouldn't characterize him as a controversial rapper, Common found himself under the microscope after First Lady Michelle Obama invited him to the White House for an arts event. In question: the lyrics to "A Song for Assata," about convicted cop-killer and former Black Panther Assata Shakur. 

Read Full Story by clicking link.

For New Jersey police, the outrage centers on "A Song for Assata" lyrics like "Your power and pride is beautiful. May God bless your soul."

Shakur, formerly known as Joanne Chesimard, was convicted for the 1973 slaying of Trooper Werner Foerster on the New Jersey Turnpike. She escaped prison in 1979, and is living in asylum in Cuba

grlygrlz2

Asked by grlygrlz2 at 1:12 PM on May. 11, 2011 in Politics & Current Events

• If he is that controversial, he should have not been invited. PBO is the president of all the people of the US. He has shown that he is sensitive to the concerns of some of them. He has to be sensitive to all of them then. I understand policemen not wanting a rapper who glorifies a 'cop killer' in a song being invited. Too many rap songs promote violence to cops, women, teachers, and anyone else you want to name. These aren't the poets of the American people. I think that is the big issue.
    jesse123456

Answer by jesse123456 at 6:32 PM on May. 11, 2011

• I wonder if Obama thinks the NJ patrolmen are acting stupidly?

jewjewbee

Answer by jewjewbee at 2:03 PM on May. 11, 2011

• I suppose if singing metaphorical death threast towards former President Bush is viewed as positive by you then yes sweet a kins he is a positive rapper. I personally don't take that view.
    chaiteamomma

Answer by chaiteamomma at 1:36 PM on May. 11, 2011

• After the ridiculous Beer Summit, there should not be any law official endorsing that man.

I think what happened, was that Michelle used her position to make her girls happy with a meet and greet and label it as something else, and the administration had no idea who they were inviting. Now the cat is out of the bag.

Irresponsible, and Inexperienced in dealing with these sorts of matters. Nothing new here.

jewjewbee

Answer by jewjewbee at 2:25 PM on May. 11, 2011

--
    oh my...I have some ladies I'd like for you to meet.
    great answer.
    jewjewbee

Answer by jewjewbee at 1:42 PM on May. 11, 2011

• I think they have every right to feel the way they do and I have to imagine I would feel the same way too if I were one of them.

QuinnMae

Answer by QuinnMae at 2:29 PM on May. 11, 2011

• What's up with the Obama's ?

They just do un-presidential things!
    gammie

Answer by gammie at 1:22 PM on May. 11, 2011

• just to be snarky, Obama is in favor of killing binladen one week and cops the next. the points go up, the points go down. one " oh shit" takes away ten " attaboys". lol
    jewjewbee

Answer by jewjewbee at 1:40 PM on May. 11, 2011

• Yes, I agree with the police officers. I also found it interesting that he went to the same church as the Obamas. You know, the one with Rev. Jeremiah Wright.

And to SAK, I guess he's a positive rapper/poet when he's calling for the murder of a repub president or police officers? Gotcha
    DSamuels

Answer by DSamuels at 1:47 PM on May. 11, 2011

• No, the WH did not change the views, nor did the WH change theirs last I heard.
    jewjewbee

Answer by jewjewbee at 2:07 PM on May. 11, 2011