Tulips?

we planted tulips and they are beggining to die what do we do? do we just cut the tops of or trim them short... we dont now much about this stuff... this is the first year we have done flowers... please help.

jaksonsmommy

Asked by jaksonsmommy at 1:30 PM on May. 11, 2011 in Home & Garden

• Tulips are usually bulbs, you dig up the bulb, and refrigerate them till next year when it is cold., then replant. They thrive in cold weather only.

Answer by older at 1:33 PM on May. 11, 2011

• I agree with older !
    Wish2Be

Answer by Wish2Be at 1:42 PM on May. 11, 2011

• I have never dug up my bulbs. Too much work. lol They come up just fine every year. I guess it depends on where you live. I wait until the plants have all turned brown and then trim them off so the energy goes back to the bulbs.
    Anonymous

• Sorry, no help here, everything I plant dies. I buy silk.
    elasmimi

Answer by elasmimi at 2:14 PM on May. 11, 2011

• I agree with PP about the cold weather, I've heard that too.
    MommaSiete

Answer by MommaSiete at 3:02 PM on May. 11, 2011

• I have never dug up my bulbs! Just cut the ugly dead heads off. They will come back next year. Leave them in the ground.
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 3:19 PM on May. 11, 2011

• We never dig up our bulbs either, they always come back on their own. But maybe it depends on how extreme the weather is.
    slw123

Answer by slw123 at 3:40 PM on May. 11, 2011

• You can deadhead the top where the flower and stem were, but leave the green foliage so the bulb can gather growth and sun for next year's bloom.
    tasches

Answer by tasches at 5:04 PM on May. 11, 2011

• tulips only bloom a short time in the spring. you can deadhead the blooms, cut the stems back, and use the leaves as filler, until they turn yellow and die, too. then cut those down to the ground, and either dig up the bulbs, and store in a cool, dry place, or leave them in the ground for next year. some will come back, some will get eaten by moles/rodents..or may rot if they still in wet/damp ground too long.
    you're best best is to dig up.
    dullscissors

Answer by dullscissors at 5:27 PM on May. 11, 2011

• I have a black thumb, no help here!!
    Ashlynnsmommy07

Answer by Ashlynnsmommy07 at 5:33 PM on May. 11, 2011