What foods are high in iron while pregnant?

momtobe522

Asked by momtobe522 at 1:34 PM on May. 11, 2011 in Pregnancy

• Greens and red meat. My favorite was a steak and spinach salad!

Answer by missanc at 1:36 PM on May. 11, 2011

• BEETS!!! i have struggled with anemia all my life and esp when I am preg. I eat beets to keep it up since those iron pills are awful. Also I read somewhere that beef has more iron than most meat.
    alligurl186

Answer by alligurl186 at 1:37 PM on May. 11, 2011

• Collards, Spinach,Red Meat, Beans, Lentils,chick peas,Liver, artichokes,Egg yolks,Iron enriched cereals
    Mrs_Harsh

Answer by Mrs_Harsh at 1:37 PM on May. 11, 2011

• Unsulphured black strap molasses. A tablespoon in the am, one in the pm. Full of iron, magnesium, and potassium and it won't plug you up (in fact, the magnesium will actually help you to go). Whatever form of iron you take, make sure you take it with Vitamin C for better absorption.

Note: the iron in enriched cereals is the least absorbable form so stay clear of those.
    Anonymous

• yuck i hate beats and alot of the stuff i need lol but i have to do it lol
    momtobe522

Comment by momtobe522 (original poster) at 1:45 PM on May. 11, 2011

• "Iron is found in food in two forms, heme and non-heme iron. Heme iron, which makes up 40 percent of the iron in meat, poultry, and fish, is well absorbed. Non-heme iron, 60 percent of the iron in animal tissue and all the iron in plants (fruits, vegetables, grains, nuts) is less well absorbed. " - from the Vegetarian Resource Group

This is why my dr always tells me to eat more red meat! (because it's absorbed more easily, even though leafy greens have a higher amount of iron in them)

Answer by missanc at 1:50 PM on May. 11, 2011

• If you hate the food sources you can ask your Dr about a supplement. I took an over the counter one called Slow FE.
    Anonymous

• You need both iron and vitamin C...

Iron- liver, beef, pork, shrimp, liver cheese, liver sausage, dry beans, dried and fresh peas, blackeyed peas, mustard greens, turnip greens, collard greens, spinach, molasses, prunes, prune juice, raisins, broccoli, eggs, oysters

Vitamin C- oranges, orange juice, lemons, real lemonade, grapefruit, grapefruit juice, berries, watermelon, cantaloupe, melons, peaches, tomatoes, cauliflower, green peppers, sweet potatoes, spinach, greens, cabbage
    BUTTERCUP777

Answer by BUTTERCUP777 at 2:05 PM on May. 11, 2011

• I know beets are great. Flinstone vitamins for kids are an awesome source and work well, but as your doctor first.
    emerald2

Answer by emerald2 at 2:07 PM on May. 11, 2011