What would you do?

I took my children to the doctors today because they are sick, he told me my about my cousin's children, as well as my children's youngest sibling. Well that and the drama between my children's father and the mother of his youngest. I had already known the information, we're all pretty close minus the mother of the youngest.

I really don't want him gossiping about my children, it's only mine and their father's business. I doubt the other's would appreciate their business being told to every one who shares the same doctor.

Wildkitten82

Asked by Wildkitten82 at 1:38 PM on May. 11, 2011 in General Parenting

• Your doctor is sharing personal information? Isn't that a violation of HIPPA laws? Well, wait, it would be if it were medical. Even if it's not medical, he's wrong and if it's possible, I'd find a new doctor who knew how to respect privacy.
    ldmrmom

Answer by ldmrmom at 1:41 PM on May. 11, 2011

• Yeah, I wouldn't be happy either. That pushes the line of doctor-patient confidentiality.
    anng.atlanta

Answer by anng.atlanta at 1:41 PM on May. 11, 2011

• I would change doctors.
    booger14

Answer by booger14 at 1:41 PM on May. 11, 2011

• I might look for another doctor. Doctor patient privilege - does this apply here?

meooma

Answer by meooma at 1:45 PM on May. 11, 2011

• I would report him to someone. It is not right that he tells other people's information, even if they are family. And I don't see why it is his business anyway, if it is not medically related. and find a new doctor.
    AndreaW2kids

Answer by AndreaW2kids at 2:04 PM on May. 11, 2011

• I'd assume Doctor patient privilege applies here because he told me about how my cousin's sons are sick, what they had, their treatment and the medical conditions of the baby.
    Wildkitten82

Comment by Wildkitten82 (original poster) at 2:06 PM on May. 11, 2011

• If he's discussing health than it is a violation of HIPPA. A doctor can not discuss any health related manners with any one NOT pre-approved on a signed piece of documentation by the patient or parent if the patient is under the age of 18. I'd point this out to him and then look to see where to file a complaint. .. . and then get a doctor that can follow HIPPA law.
    ldmrmom

Answer by ldmrmom at 2:32 PM on May. 11, 2011

• I would definitely find a new doctor and report him!
    Kats86

Answer by Kats86 at 4:26 PM on May. 11, 2011

• There are big fines involved for doctors who share info like that.

JSD24

Answer by JSD24 at 7:58 AM on May. 12, 2011