Here we have our Government "Helping" people

Typical? I think so.

Link text

itsmesteph11

Asked by itsmesteph11 at 1:39 PM on May. 11, 2011 in Politics & Current Events

• Is this how we are going to balance the budget?
    ahem....you know what? I never thought we should have ever had FEMA. Those properties should have been insured by the owners. anyway, if there is something on the books allowing people to apply and qualify then they need to appeal and appeal until they win and insure their properties next time.
    People in general need to stop relying on outside sources, like the Federal or State Governments for instances like this.
    jewjewbee

Answer by jewjewbee at 1:46 PM on May. 11, 2011

• It is OK to help profitable corporations with tax breaks and subsidies but individuals ? Oh dear, no. Not all hazards will be underwritten by insurance companies , especially flooding and Acts of God
    janet116

Answer by janet116 at 1:51 PM on May. 11, 2011

• Well, I think I have to agree with jewjewbee on that one. After Hurricane Katrina, when FEMA gave the people those $2,00.00 debit cards- Link, there were many discussions on what that money was spent on- strip clubs, designer purses, etc.   (Don't hate on me, I don't make this stuff up, here is your links, if you want more Google it.. there are tons of examples).   Then we have the current news in my area about the levee being blown, with crops being lost, etc, etc... the list goes on.  There, people have actually chosen to live in flood plains, farm in flood plains, actually between two levees... and they get pissed when it floods??  That doesn't make sense to me.  Now they are suing... 

m-avi

Answer by m-avi at 2:03 PM on May. 11, 2011

• All of FEMA's money comes from tax payers. I'm a tax payer. I am also a beachbum at heart. Do I live at the beach? Nope. I don't live there because as much as I love the ocean, I also live sustainably AND within my budget. I do live close enough to the beach to be in a hurricane zone, and everything we've built is PLANNED around that. Our home is hurricane safe to a cat 4. It's almost tornado proof. It's fire proof. Cripes, my homeowners policy costs less than my auto ins. (and that is less than $35 a month). We built a shelter in addition to all this. Why? Because I don't ever want to have to beg FEMA to give me money it took from someone else to help me fix MY mistakes or pay for MY bad choices. People who CHOOSE to live in dangerous areas should be responsible for paying their own way when something bad happens ~ including 'an act of God'. God gave you a brain. Use it, and stop expecting others to pick up the tab!
    Farmlady09

Answer by Farmlady09 at 4:23 PM on May. 11, 2011

• That doesn't see fair!  When are they going after the other 1/2 of this money?

http://blogs.alternet.org/speakeasy/2010/10/08/dead-people-getting-stimulus-check-and-the-making-of-a-right-wing-meme/

Here’s the deal. The one-time stimulus payments — $250 a pop — were sent to 52 million people. Of that number, 72,000 had died relatively recently. That works out to .0014 of the payments sent, meaning 99.86 percent reached a living soul.

The AP notes that half of those checks were returned. This is how things work when someone dies — checks, and bills, continue to arrive until the estate gets settled.

agentwanda

Answer by agentwanda at 10:16 PM on May. 11, 2011

• Farmlady..... I agree but do tell. Where on earth can you get a homeowners policy in a Hurricane zone for $35 a month. Our Insurance company was one of the last to turn traitor and stop selling in the coastal area of TX where we are and we had to suck it up and get nasty state pool insurance and even that cost $2400 a yr. But.. WE DO IT because we could need it.
    itsmesteph11

Comment by itsmesteph11 (original poster) at 7:38 AM on May. 12, 2011