Any1 had their child travel alone in airplane before?

I am wondering, if yes. can you gave me some tips? plz!
My son will be traveling alone this summer to go spend half summer with my mom (his grandma) and my lil brothers.
I am not gng, since I cant affrd to buy another ticket and I got my other 2 kids to take care of, one of them is gng to visit his other grandma but not til later on summer and the youngest is staying wit us. my fiance cant tke off work too, so he is traveling alone. I am worried, but I made him a promise he could go, and i cant brake that promise. He will be taking a non-stop flight for 2hrs with someone taking care of him.
Has any1 have their child travel alone before, where they ok thru the flight?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:43 PM on May. 11, 2011 in Travel

• my dd's fly alone all the time , just pay the extra fee for minors and make sure its an stop flight........i've been on flights where minors are on board the load them first and sit them all together and they are the last ones to get off the plane...someone is watching them at all times so just get him on the plane then have the person at the other end call you as soon as the plane lands and he gets off......oh and they will only hand the kid over to the person on the airport paperwork no one else.....
    cara124

Answer by cara124 at 10:26 AM on May. 15, 2011

• My dd flew alone when she was 7 1/2 and she had a great time. It was a direct flight and she was sitting with 2 other kids who were also flying alone. I cried like a baby when they took off and didn't have my phone out of my hand until my mom called when my dd arrived. Quite stressful... just make sure its a direct flight and your kid has lots of snacks (not candy) and things to play with. GL momma
    Mel_in_PHX

Answer by Mel_in_PHX at 1:50 PM on May. 11, 2011

• Yes. My Step DD is 9 and traveled by herself from Vegas to SC. Of course it was extra money for the attendant to make sure she was good and all. it was a direct flight BTW, and the attendant walked her off the plane and into her G'ma's arms. Same as returning. She was excited. She enjoys adventure. she did take dvd movies, a book, blanket, mp3, etc
    kkbird

Answer by kkbird at 1:50 PM on May. 11, 2011

• Well I sent my dd on southwest airlines when she was 9. We had to pay an extra fee for a minor traveling alone and everyone had to have ids to pick her up including me. But the extra fee was because they assigned a flight attendant to watch her. Pluys they gave her this little plastic pouch on a string with her flight info and ticket in it. She had to wear it around her neck durin the flight.
    According to my dd everyone was nice and her flight went smoothly.
    SeasideNative

Answer by SeasideNative at 1:52 PM on May. 11, 2011

• My stepson flew on a plane alone when he was 12 and older. I wouldn't have sent him if he was younger than that. We paid extra to have a flight attendant assigned to him, even though it was a nonstop flight. He was fine, but like I said . . . if he were younger, I wouldn't have been comfortable with doing it.

Answer by missanc at 1:46 PM on May. 11, 2011

• How old is he? I started flying alone at age 12. My grandson flew on his own at age 8. We had to pay for an airline escort but that's a waste of money. They just make sure he gets on and off the right plane. He was terrified at flying and there was no one there to comfort him or explain what was happening when he heard scary sounds or they hit turbulence. He's 13 now and won't get on a plane anymore and says he never will again. He wasn't ready to fly alone but it's too late now. The damage has been done to him. Depending on your son's age you may be able to explain things to him and keep him calm. Keep in mind with small kids it's like another Disney ride. But once they get on and hear that door shut and the engines rev up and take off they can't just get back off.

Answer by admckenzie at 1:51 PM on May. 11, 2011

• My dd has flown alone she is 7.....the flights hafta be non-stop if they are under a certain age....i think its 12 now.......i sent lots of snacks and a dvd player and some books....she flew from NY to PR and then back to NY....she loved it
    macksmom716

Answer by macksmom716 at 1:59 PM on May. 11, 2011

• I flew across country alone every summer starting at age 11. I was fine. However, that was back when they had non-stop flights and your family could meet you and drop you off right at the gate. After 9/11 I was already 14 and was more than capable of getting through secuirty and finding the gate on my own. I think for unaccompanied minors though they have someone escort the child to and from everywhere. I'm not sure if I'd still even send a kid younger than maybe 9-10 alone.
    jessicarae787

Answer by jessicarae787 at 2:02 PM on May. 11, 2011

• My son flew alone at 13. Strangely, they allow 13 yr olds to fly alone like they are an adult. He flew Southwest. I watched him get on plane and waited until it took off. He was just fine. He has flown plenty of times with me and everything went smoothly.
    sneakyboo

Answer by sneakyboo at 2:03 PM on May. 11, 2011

• My son flew alone at age 13. I dont think there is anythng wrong with it. There is so much security at the airport and there are more car accidents then plane accidents.
    dukester050128

Answer by dukester050128 at 8:59 PM on May. 14, 2011