Is there sign to know when to feed a baby cereal?

I get told different ages all the time to start feeding my baby cereal. I want to know hen or if there are signs to look for.

Kimkh

Asked by Kimkh at 1:47 PM on May. 11, 2011 in Babies (0-12 months)

• the signs for me is when my kids would start eating every hr and half and always hungry. My first was 3 and half months old, my second was 3months old. U can feed them in the bouncer chair or swing in an upright positon until they are able to sit in a high chair which for me was around 5months old for the two of them.
    2boysyahoo.com

Answer by 2boysyahoo.com at 2:05 PM on May. 11, 2011

• Cereal? Never. **grin** It's junk. You can start with something like mashed avocado or banana at six months, when the open gut is closed.

Some great info on solids here: http://www.wholesomebabyfood.com/babyledweaning.htm

Answer by gdiamante at 1:50 PM on May. 11, 2011

• Smaking lips and interest are merely reflexes. Not signs of readiness. Sitting unassisted, bringing hand to mouth, the ability to chew foods and then swallow, are signs. The aap AND the WHO along with many other studies show that ONLY after 6 months and after baby has met the readiness signs is their gut mature enough for solids. Before that, they have leaky gut and food is bad for that.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 3:11 PM on May. 11, 2011

• I personally waited until 4 months with my first and about 7 months with my 2nd. But I think they say they are ready when they don't thrust their tongue out when you give them baby cereal and when they can hold their head up well enough that they won't choke while eating it.
    Anonymous

• You never have to give a baby cereal. You can hold off on real food until baby is over 6 months old and when they can pick up foods and and feed themselves bits of real food. In fact, baby can wait until nearly a year old. Anything besides breastmilk or formula before a year old is always for fun, practice and in addition to the milk. Not as a main source or nutrition and not to fill them up.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 2:01 PM on May. 11, 2011

• By the 5th month
    newathis918

Answer by newathis918 at 2:18 PM on May. 11, 2011

• Well, if you try it and they just spit it all out you will know that physically they aren't ready yet. They have to lose that instinctive response to spit out solids first. Another sign I saw in my dd is that she would kind of smack her lips together when she saw me eating so that's when I really knew she was ready for solids.
    MaryMW

Answer by MaryMW at 2:27 PM on May. 11, 2011