Quiting cigarettes... again...

Here we go again! Im 23 and have smoked cigarettes since I was about 16. So its been seven yrs of smoking, trying to quit, and falling back into it. I did quit while I was pregnant with my DS who's now 9 months old. My husband smokes too which makes it just a bit more difficult in my mind. The day we brought DS home from the hospital, after having gone through so much with giving birth my stupid self lit up a cigarette and have been smoking since. I kept thinking that I need the cigarettes to handle the stress, or to make it through a tough shift at work. But now i know I not only need to quit for myself but forr my DS. Also for my DH bc I'm killing myself with each puff i take, I'm being a had influence on my sob. Now at the very least for justification we do not smoke in the home or either of our vehicles so our son is not directly exposed. I know the smoke attaches to me though and can get to him that way which is a big motivater to quit. But man, I feel like I cant do it already and this is morning of day one! Just looking for some encouragement i guess... Please refrained from harshness I'm doing this bc I know what im doing is wrong but all my friends and family smoke so there's no support in my life.

kpincince

Asked by kpincince at 1:50 PM on May. 11, 2011 in Health

• You CAN do this! Good for you for making the effort!

Answer by gdiamante at 1:52 PM on May. 11, 2011

• I quit for 4 months about a year ago, my sisnlaw passed away and more stressers snowballed after that.....I understand that 1st cig startup............YOU CAN DO IT............BE MY INSPIRATION............................
    Dahis

Answer by Dahis at 2:05 PM on May. 11, 2011

• i quit with my son an it lasted til my son was 3 months old when my son was 9months i found out i was prago with my daughter so i quit again it seems to b soooo much easy when ur doing it for another person but of course when my daughter turned a month old i started again an she almost 2 now i think this is something ill fight with for the rest of my life..... keep up the wrk let me knw how u do id like to stop myself.... good luck girl
    kelleyplus2

Answer by kelleyplus2 at 2:20 PM on May. 11, 2011

• hun, i know exactly what you're going through. i was a pack a day smoker for 9 years, and this saturday, it will be 3 weeks since my last cigarette. my reason for smoking was also stress-related. the first few days, were hardest in that area. i didn't know how to handle stress without cigarettes. but if you can get through the first week without smoking, the stress-related craving part will start to wind down. between weeks 1-2 is the emotional part. you may feel depressed and "miss" smoking, which is a very normal and common withdrawal symptom. fatigue, headaches and confusion are also normal. this is your body's response to all the extra blood and oxygen flow. your body is resilient, it will repair the damage you've done to it by smoking each day you don't smoke. check out whyquit.com for some great tips/advice! most importantly tell yourself you CAN do it.
    tnm786

Answer by tnm786 at 2:23 PM on May. 11, 2011

• id also like to add that my stress level hasn't changed since i quit, infact on Mother's Day my husband left us to get his act cleaned up, and we've been separated since then. it's been very hard and i've been very emotional but i haven't touched a cigarette! if you can work through the stressful times without smoking, you can overcome your addiction to them.
    tnm786

Answer by tnm786 at 2:25 PM on May. 11, 2011

• Thanks everyone for ur encouragement! I have just finished my first wrk short without a cig and I've bit my nails, and my lip enough to make a blister... But I made it and that's what matters. I really hope I can do this if not for me then for my DS. My mother died at 42 not from cigs but still, I kno what its like to lose a mom too soon and I want to live a long life to watch my son grow old and giv me grandkids!
    kpincince

Comment by kpincince (original poster) at 5:46 PM on May. 11, 2011