PTSD

Wondering if anyone else has been diagnosed and been through treatment?? I am not a solider nor have I been to war...As a child I was sexually abused and recently over the past 2 years Ive started having problems with stress and anxiety and many other things...nightmares of the incidents, etc....Well my counselor has told me that children who do not receive treatment after the traumatic event can develop PTSD as adults..I had no idea, I always thought PTSD was something that happened to military (I know naive and stupid) ..But knowing that this is the cause of my problems im wondering what expectations I should have with this treatment...will it possibly help resolve my stress and anxiety or will I always have it?? I dont want to be on medication ( I was on it before and it made me feel like a zombie). I want to work through it with counseling..which is something I have been avoiding for a very long time but im glad I have taken the steps to start and im already starting to see a change

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:54 PM on May. 11, 2011 in Health

• No, No... it can happen after any stressful event. Also, the type of event and the situation can be different for every person depending on what your tolerance level is. I, too, suffer from it. I use Hynotherapy for my choice method of control.
    m-avi

Answer by m-avi at 2:06 PM on May. 11, 2011

• If you are already seeing improvement take that as a good sign. I hope you find a few friends here who can be supportive and help you through it.
    LoveMyDog

Answer by LoveMyDog at 3:55 PM on May. 11, 2011

• It can happen from being involved in a traumatic situation, the situation doesn't have to directly affect you. People that have been in plane crashed and survived where others didn't have developed PTSD. It will take you time to deal with what happened to you, it will never go away but you will learn to live with what happened and learn to control the symptoms of PTSD. Sometimes it can be done with just counseling but sometimes, medication is needed. When medication is properly prescribed and maintained, it will NOT make you a zombie. Good luck!!!

Answer by tyfry7496 at 2:37 PM on May. 12, 2011