Vasectomy question, DH had one and I'm concerned about how he's still feeling adult content

Dh had it done 6 days ago and he's still very swollen, about the size of a grapefruit. The swelling goes up and down again when he ices it. He is saying there's some pain in his abdomen and the one side is more sore than the other.
He has called the clinic he had it done at and they said it could be like that up to 12 weeks and unless he has a discharge, fever or is throwing up he is fine. I was not satisfied with that seeing as guys we know who've had the same procedure were back to normal by this time. I called our family dr and spoke to her nurse and she said he shouldn't still be THAT swollen and to call the clinic again.
Has anyone else's dh had this problem or have you heard of anyone who's had a recovery like this?
At first I was giving him greif for being a baby but he's walking bowlegged and is still very swollen.

AmandaH321

Asked by AmandaH321 at 1:58 PM on May. 11, 2011 in Health

• He should be fine by now. I'd drive him straight to the E.R.....SIX DAYS...??????? He should be much better. Mine had his on a Friday and he was back to work on Monday.
    series40

Answer by series40 at 2:11 PM on May. 11, 2011

• I would go in ASAP.

My hubs had one done and was NOT swollen... maybe a tad bit but so small I couldnt tell. AND he was fine with in one day. He sat for 2 days but was in very very little pain.

BIG RED FLAG.... GO IN GO IN GO IN!
    Anonymous

• All my husband's friends were back to normal within a day. My husband took about 3 weeks before he was back to normal.
    Anonymous

• My hubby had it done on Friday and he's still sore and swollen too.he went and bought a jock strap.and he said the pain was almost gone..and the swelling is going down.but bags of frozen corn and peas.wrk better than bags of ice...I would take him to the er and tell them to take a look.
    ZACANDZOIESMOM

Answer by ZACANDZOIESMOM at 2:38 PM on May. 11, 2011

• My hubby was fine the next day. In your place I would go into have it looked at just to be on the safe side.
    Octobersmom

Answer by Octobersmom at 2:10 PM on May. 11, 2011

• Make sure that he is laying down and off of his feet. No activity except bathroom. Swelling can be worse if sopmeone doesn't stay in bed.

Call the clinic and tell them you want an appointment time to take him in to be seen by the doctor. Tell them that you are close to going to the ER, but you know that the surgeon is considered the one who should treat his patients.

My husband spent two days in bed, but had minimal swelling and pain. I have known some who have swollen like that before, and he should be seen.
    ImaginationMama

Answer by ImaginationMama at 2:40 PM on May. 11, 2011

• My husband moaned and groaned and acted like a baby for weeks! It took a long time for the swelling to go away and he also had pain in his belly and one side that hurt more than the other. It took him over a month to jump in the saddle again too. He had his in March.
    misses_nick

Answer by misses_nick at 2:42 PM on May. 11, 2011

• I know of 3 men who've had it done. One went house shopping to 4 houses in a neighboring city the very next day. The other 2 were back to work and only very mild ache 2 days later.
    I'd say his symptoms are NOT normal and to go in ASAP to that clinic
    MrsDAP

Answer by MrsDAP at 2:45 PM on May. 11, 2011

• He should not be walking around for one, my hubby had pain for about two weeks and had ice packs on him all the time.

If things look worse just go in and get him seen!
    gammie

Answer by gammie at 2:49 PM on May. 11, 2011

• My husband was never the size of a grapefruit. He bled a bit. He sat on the couch for two days with frozen veggies on his crotch (movie time!) and then he went back to work Monday. He should be seen by whoever did the surgery, but if you dont trust that person then go to the family doctor, the ER or a private urologist. There might still be twinges at 12 weeks (I know someone who swears that scar tissue and nerve tissue got intertwined and he still has pain 5 year later. ) but swelling the size of a grapefruit deserves a follow-up visit. Either the person on the phone at the clinic didn't know what he/she was talking about or the doctor didn't know what he/she was doing.
    Anonymous