Need sleep help!

My 2 year old normally takes a 2 hour nap during they day and goes to bed between 8 and 9 pm but has been getting up at 530 am to 630 am how can i get him to sleep a bit longer?

victoriak12708

Asked by victoriak12708 at 2:11 PM on May. 11, 2011 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Well, I would say increase his activity during the day so he is very tired by bedtime. Also I cut down on naps :)
    Actually, you may not want to hear this but that is a pretty good routne for a two year old.
    I never get to sleep and have 3 girls, Id trade ya any day!
    gdnrs

Answer by gdnrs at 2:16 PM on May. 11, 2011

• Lose the nap.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 2:23 PM on May. 11, 2011

• It sounds like a decent schedule for sleep. I wouldn't suggest loosing the nap cause an overtired child doesn't sleep any better. At least not mine. Mine are usually up at 6:30 but if they try to get up way before that, I make them stay in bed telling them its too early or bring them in bed with me. You could try a little later bedtime and stay consistent with the bedtime routine.
    Ferrari

Answer by Ferrari at 9:57 PM on May. 11, 2011

• I think before you totally say goodbye to the nap I would try one trick I use, you may get another 6 months out of him this way. Skip the nap tomorrow, put him down at normal bedtime, not early not late (maybe 830) even if he's cranky. Then the next day only let him sleep for one hour of his nap, wake him, then put him to bed at his normal bedtime again. The next morning he should sleep later than 630! Then from that point on only let him take a 1 to 1 1/2 hour nap. If he goes back to waking up before 630 do this all over again.
    Stef (the nanny from http://askananny.com )
    AskANanny

Answer by AskANanny at 11:54 PM on May. 11, 2011

• I give my son a little snack with milk before bed then do the bed time routine and my son seems to sleep better but my son is on the go from the time he wakes till he goes back to sleep. Or you might have to give up that lovely thing called nap time.
    EJKZ

Answer by EJKZ at 12:50 AM on May. 12, 2011

• My son had the same problem. DON'T cut out the nap!!! I tried that and he wouldn't even sleep through the night!!!

What works for me was making sure he has a busy day and gets outside as much as we can, and making sure he's full when he goes to bed.
    PaCsSupermom

Answer by PaCsSupermom at 11:04 AM on May. 12, 2011

• let go of the nap & make sure he's fed & tired when put to bed. some people are just early risers. maybe u can train him to not get out of bed when he wakes up like that. my kids don't bother me when they wake up early.
    mrsary

Answer by mrsary at 3:00 PM on May. 12, 2011