How to get my 2 year old out of my bed!!!

So, I made the mistake of letting my precious little bundle of joy stay in bed with me, now my precious little bundle of joy is a big 2 year old who wont keep his feet out of my back at night. He has he own little toy story bed IN my room, and refuses to sleep in it...its driving me crazy. Any suggestions on how to get him out of mine and into his?? :)

Nathonsmama

Asked by Nathonsmama at 2:11 PM on May. 11, 2011 in Toddlers (1-2)

• First of all. Calm down. Secondly, remember, letting him sleep with you was not a mistake. Only because you want him out now has it become and issue.

Try putting him in his bed and you sleep on the floor next to it. Gradually move away over several nights.
    Or put his bed in another room. And try that method.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 2:17 PM on May. 11, 2011

• start with a bedtime routine bath, book, hugs, bed.. let him know he is a big boy now & needs to stay in his bed. when he gets out (unless he is going potty) the 1st time say you need to stay in bed, the 2nd time say bed time, the 3rd & on say nothing simply pick him up & put him in bed. sit infront of his door so when he comes out you can get him right away be willing to do this as many times as it takes for him to stay in his bed. sooner or later he will get the point.
    maiahlynn

Answer by maiahlynn at 2:17 PM on May. 11, 2011

• Well he stay asleep if you move him? You can just let him fall asleep with you or in your bed then put him in his bed after he's asleep. I have the same issue. I just dont have to worry about moving him or him getting up and coming back in bed with me. He will come into bed with me more if he's had a bad dream and some time I just let him stay all night. I do know what your talking about with the kicking and just there being no room. If that dont work out then you just need to talk to him and say hey this is youe bed you have to stay and sleep in it all night. You can give him a night light and some stuff animales to sleep with or even some thing (safe) of your to sleep with so he might stay in his bed more.
    butterflies78

Answer by butterflies78 at 2:22 PM on May. 11, 2011

• I have tried making him go to bed in his bed, and it works sometimes but other times not. I dont think getting him to go to sleep in it is the bad part, its when he wakes up in the middle of the night crying for a juice cup, and thats when i give in and let him in my bed. I dont have the energy to fight him to stay in his bed lol, when I have to get up 3 hours later for work you know. Do yalls kids wake up for their cup at night? Nathon does at least 5 times a night....is that normal?
    Nathonsmama

Comment by Nathonsmama (original poster) at 2:55 PM on May. 11, 2011

• Mine slept with me...LOL But, he stopped waking up at 3 months. When and if he did wake up later on, I simply would say, "No, lay back down, it's sleepy time." Then, I rolled over and pretended to sleep...he would just lay down and sleep. He knew throwing a fit or anything else would only get him in trouble and not a drink or play time.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 3:08 PM on May. 11, 2011

• Ive tried the roll over thing lol..and if I give him his cup and its empty he will start to whine lol, so when I tell him to give it to me I will get him more he freaks out lol and wont give me his cup...its crazy. hes a difficult child lol...he will get mad and throw his cup at like 3 in the morning haha..and im like wow...i gotta get up in a couple hours and i wake up to this...drives me crazy.
    Nathonsmama

Comment by Nathonsmama (original poster) at 3:16 PM on May. 11, 2011

• You might have to sacrifice a few hours of sleep to beat this. It will suck but it can be done. Don't give in anymore. And I would say no more juice at night. It is really bad for his teeth. I would just go cold turkey. Put him in his own room. Once you put him to bed close the door to his room. Each time he comes out just put him right back. He will get the idea. If he has to have a cup of something at night give him water. Put a second cup near his bed where he can find it and just grab that one.

Be strong. It is hard but it can be done.
    Shaken1976

Answer by Shaken1976 at 9:31 AM on May. 12, 2011

• Well guys...GOOD NEWS. The night i posted this, was his first night in his bed, and hes slept in it ever since. I layed him down in it, and he cried, and i just sat on the bed with him for a minute and told him he was a big boy now and i was going to cut his movie off if he didnt lay their, and hes been their ever since!! Soooo glad thanks for the advice ladies.!! My baby is a big boy now ;)
    Nathonsmama

Comment by Nathonsmama (original poster) at 3:26 PM on May. 16, 2011