Do you see the confederate flag as just a southern tradition or as an offensive racist remnant?

35yoamom

Asked by 35yoamom at 2:25 PM on May. 11, 2011 in Politics & Current Events

• Honestly, I've gone back and forth with my feelings on it over the years due to my experiences with people who fly them. At this point I've come to realize that it's an object that can represent many different things depending upon who is flying it. Most of the people I know who fly them are admittedly a little bit racist if not very racist. Does that mean that the flag itself is a symbol of racism? Not necessarily. But at the same time, I can't help but think of the nazi swastika. It was originally a symbol for Hinduism, but most people would first and foremost think of Hitler upon seeing the symbol. I think the Confederate flag is kind of the same in that many people do associate it with racism and slavery. It definitely is, and will likely remain, a controversial subject.
    KelleyP77

Answer by KelleyP77 at 4:14 PM on May. 11, 2011

• Living in the south, being married to a west Texas cowboy, I've always viewed it as nothing more than a symbol of southern pride. It's only viewed as racist when groups that promote racism and hatred use it.
    cbk_mom3

Answer by cbk_mom3 at 2:26 PM on May. 11, 2011

• It is part of southern history. Anything can be seen as offensive or racist it you want it to be.

yourspecialkid

Answer by yourspecialkid at 2:27 PM on May. 11, 2011

• Nanixh- Southern people are, among other things, very proud of their heritage. They worked hard for what they had and it was a glorious thing. The war wasn't about slavery (unfortunately, people seem to have missed this little fact entirely), it was simply an issue which came into play late in the game. The south got raped, plain and simple. The people hold fast to their traditions, that doesn't make them racist.
    ObbyDobbie

Answer by ObbyDobbie at 3:04 PM on May. 11, 2011

• Coming from a black woman born and raised in Alabama I know it as southern pride. You have some people who use it a racism, but of us black people wear the confederate flag on our shirts. I also have jewelry with it on it. I remember when I was in college I wore a necklace and the beads were of the flag I almost got jump by a bunch of black girls. lol It means different things to different people. At the end of the day you have to have an open mind.
    babygirl0782

Answer by babygirl0782 at 4:34 PM on May. 11, 2011

• "This is actually false. It WAS about slavery. "

not in the sense of freeing blacks to give them equal rights.. it was an economical move in the north. pulling out the slaves was going to cruush the souths economy while majorly benefiting the north. was more where the it was about slavery was part of it.. although that was only one issue. that was really the reason and only reason the slaves were even an issue.. not that i agree with the slavery in the first place, however the images painted arent nearly as bad as some like to imagine in most cases in the souh. most southerns that fought did not even own slaves. and trust me, abe lincoln was NOT about equality..
    xxhazeldovexx

Answer by xxhazeldovexx at 3:30 PM on May. 11, 2011

• A southern tradition. Most confederates weren't fighting to KEEP slavery. They were fighting out of patriotism. If Canada all of a sudden decided they didn't like the US and tried to come in and take over to force their systems and beliefs on us, would you stand up for the US (assuming you live here..)? I think so..

I once went on a trip as the only white kid with a group of black kids, and we saw a man wearing a shirt with the confederate flag and they all started talking trash about how the man was racist, just because of that flag on his shirt. I tried explaining it to them, but yeah I lost that battle. The confederate flag in general has nothing to do with racism.
    jessicarae787

Answer by jessicarae787 at 2:33 PM on May. 11, 2011

• As a "Damn Yankee", having lived down here as long as I have, I simply see it for what it is- deep rooted southern pride.

Sure, it can be used in an offensive manner. So can *ANYTHING*.
    ObbyDobbie

Answer by ObbyDobbie at 3:01 PM on May. 11, 2011

• Southern tradition
    Mel_in_PHX

Answer by Mel_in_PHX at 2:27 PM on May. 11, 2011

• it is a sign of the south, no one I know uses it to be racist. It's just how they say "I'm a proud southern baby". I don't get what the big deal about it is anymore, it's not a sign of being racist at all to MOST people. Yes you get those assholes who use it as a tool (kinda like the idiots with the sheets over their heads).

it's just southern tradition and southern born pride, the south has MANY more AA in the population than anywhere I have been so calling it a race thing is stupid.. it's a flag. period!
    Anonymous